• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Rock-Runners?

Looking for some advice/ stories of experiences with rock-runner weights walleye fishing.

So I've had this thing sitting in my tackle box for five years+, but never saw the need to use it. The cabbage is up and thick in my favorite spots on the lake now though, so I decided to give it a try when my cranks and weights were getting tangled up in the stuff. The last two nights I tried to use it on slow trolls- with some success.

I tried using a floating rapala, trolling harness, and a floating jig- with the floating jig and rapala tied up behind a 2 1/2 ft heavy (12 lb) mono "leader".

Anyone else using these things? If so, any tips on how/ what else to try? The thing I like most about them- when working big points, it works just as well at 6ft as it does at 50- pulled a '20 out of 40 ft last night during a turn!!

I found the weeds still a few times- think it might be because the leader is too short- any tips on lengths of the mono-leader I am tying onto the runner?

Like any bottom bounce set-up, they are effective at covering water at a higher speed then say a typical rigging technique, and do work good on a weed edge approach.

One thing I would do first, and if you have mapping capabilities in a GPS unit, is to make a trial run of the area to map out the weed edge. This will help you effectively work the area with any weed edge technique.

Then you can run a 24 to 30 inch lead (I use a variety of line types, but usually start at just 10lb Trilene XT, clear) for your spinner set-up (or without a spinner blade), with either a two hook option for a crawler or one hook option for a minnow or leech. Match hook size to the bait your using. Use an ounce of weight per 10 feet of depth your fishing, ie 1 ounce runner for 10 feet of water. Work the edge with your bowmount, concentrait on turns and points of the weeds, or in areas where differing weed types intersect to find the fish. Typically I will run .5 to .8MPH, but sometimes I bump it up some too. Remember your looking for fish and usually they will show themselves.

Can use this same technique over sand flats or any other areas you need to cover an area to find fish.