• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which credit card?

AaronM

Question

17 answers to this question

They are all going to have their pros and cons really. May want to see if your bank offers one to start. I don't want to turn anything into a hijack thread or get off subject, I got mine through that organization that supports the 2nd amendment, as they state it supports their cause but that's just me

Stay away from cards with an annual fee. Your options are somewhat limited if you have no credit so don't even apply for an AmEx or a VISA super kryptonite card. Discover likes to give cards to people with no or little credit, but there are places that won't take Discover. I got a Mastercard as a student and have stuck with it.

Look for a low rate, this should be way more important than airline miles or cash back or whatever other credit card company scheme to get you to use thing more than you probably should.

I prefer a fixed interest rate, but I think that is mostly a personal decision as a variable rate can only go so low and the C card companies can up your fixed rate with a simple letter in the mail.

Credit cards are really nice for emergencies, etc. but for chrissakes be careful... it doesn't take long to get in over your head.

I'm with yopauly, check with your bank first. We got one through our bank, no fee, and low interest, much lower than we found anywhere else. And always check the fine print. A lot of cards these days will jack your interest up to 18% to 24% if you're late one day on a payment. Our local bank won't do that.

Pick a card with no annual fee. And whatever you do, pay the balance in full EVERY month. We put everything we buy on cards and enjoy the rewards we get from them, (cabela and gander bucks etc) pay them in full each month and you will stay out of trouble.

What type or rewards do you want from a card? There are so many out there, just figure out what you want. Many are switching from a fixed rate to variable. And they will jack up your rates if you are late with payment, go over limit, if a check is returned. Like others have said pay off the balance. Good way to pay for trips, car/hotel rentals, so long as you budgeted for them. I have the one that has the phrase "what's in your wallet". Been happy with them for years, but they recently changed to variable rate so I might be changing.

If you frequent Gander or Cabela's consider getting one of their cards. You can earn points and get gear.

If there is something else that would be more to your liking (airline miles, points towards a new or used car, etc.) check into getting a card with that benefit.

Most have already mentioned getting a card with no annual fee, that seems to be a no brainer.

If you are going to be diligent about not carrying a balance the interest rate would probably a non-issue for you otherwise look for one with not only a low introductory rate but also a low normal rate.

I chose the path to never own a credit card. I was able to build my credit plenty fast having a standard savings/checking account at a bank and opening/closing a few vehicle loans. My first loan I obviously found a co-signer and I was good to go from there on out.

Just wanted to throw out a different perspective. I still dont have or even want a credit card to this day.

Which might be fine, but how do you conveniently reserve rental cars, hotels, buy stuff online, etc?

In hind sight, I suppose not all people have need to do those sort of things.

I think credit cards have a place, but like others have said, it's very easy to get in deep if you can't manage them. Those "little" things here and there add up surprisingly quick!!

As other have said, get a card with no annual fee and plan on paying it off every month - then you don't have to worry about the interest rate. AND MAKE YOUR PAYMENT ON TIME. Most cards will charge a $25-35 late fee.

Another card to consider is a GM card, it pays back 5%, but thats a credit toward a new GM vehicle, so its only good if you buy a new GM vehicle every 3-4 years.

Like everyone else has said, pay off your balance in full every month. Everything I purchase gets put on a card, it's a great way to track expenses and to see where your money went, just make sure you have an idea of how much you have charged in the billing period. I have a Cabela's card and one from my bank, both offer 1% in reward points, I use the Cabela's one more becase it gives me a reason to go there...

Get one with reward, no annual fee, pay it up, and have at least one true credit card, as you never know when a tranny will go out far away from home - or some other major expense.

I don't even care what my interest rate it, as I always pay full. But with that said, 8.5% to 11% is nice. Discover has high rates, but I still use it for Sam's purchases.

Good luck, stay out of trouble with your card!