• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Polaris Overheating

Biggerfish

I have a 2001 Polaris 325 aircooled machine that seems to be over heating(Notice when nutreal light will not come on). Once I shut it down/turn off it will not restart until it sits for a while(Sometimes quite a while)

OK

I posted this winter on this and one response was to hard wire the fan. This seemed to work better over the winter but now that summer is here it seems to be just as bad? Any sugestions?

Thanks

Overheating on an aircooled machine can be a sign of not enough forward movement. In order for the ATV to stay relatively cool, it needs to be moving to have air passing through the fins on the motor. If you're doing a lot fo slow-n-go riding, that could very well be the culprit. Although our temps have been cooler than normal.

Another thing to consider is if you've been riding through deeper water or mud, even the fins on the motor can get clogged with debri and not allow enough air flow around the motor.

Carb jetting is another. If you're jetted too lean, your motor will run hot. Have you checked your spark plug lately? This will be one indicator of whether or not it's running lean or rich. Along with this is maybe a clogged exhaust or dirty air filter.

The first thing to do when it starts acting up is to check for spark. That will tell you if its an ignition related problem or a fuel issue. Also, just for the heck of it, try using the pull start instead of the electric start and see what happens.

OK,

Did the electrical thing. I thought it overheated last night and used the pull cord and she started right up. This tells me there must be a relay of some sort that is not allowing it to start with the elec. start when it gets a little warm. Any ideas?

OK this is a long shot but I have seen more than once where the trigger coil is a bit too far from the flywheel and it causes the machine to start with pull rope but not the electric start.

Pull the recoil cover off. You'll see the trigger coil next to the flywheel. Loosen the 2 screws that hold the trigger coil in place and move it just a little closer to the flywheel. Tighten the screws and turn the flywheel a couple FULL rotations to make sure the coil wont hit the flywheel. Put the recoil cover back on and go get it warmed up and see if the electric start works.

As for the overheating problem. Does the fan turn on and off on its own? Does the overheat light come on? If the fan works and the light doesn't turn on then I doubt you have any problems.