• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 200 EFI - Better Starting?

74mph

Question

Hey guys ive got a 2001 200 EFI Mercury Outboard. The motor runs great and always starts although when starting I often need to give it a little gas to get it going. Is there anything I can do, tweek, to fix that?

8 answers to this question

You do turn the key on and let it sit for a bit, before turning, right? I would guess so, but just checking - you need to build the pressure of the fuel pump.

We have 150efi, and while it will always start, sometimes I do give it some throttle the first time out of the day... maybe I don't wait long enough to build pressure - I should take my own advice wink

2 or 4 stroke?

Box,

Don't say that I pick up the new rig Saturday, 135 opti. smile

Merc's have always been a little cold blooded, my 40 will always start, may take 2 or 3 turns of the key, but It has never let me down and I am hoping and praying that the new one will be just as problem free as the 40.

WW

The EFI is 2 stroke, the precursor to the opti. The EFI's are about one of the most reliable engines period, and they always start. Just if you don't wait long enough for the fuel pressure to build up, it won't have gas yet. Manual states it smile just sometimes you try to rush the 15 seconds wink

The 135 opti is bulletprrof too WW, you will love it!

A few more ponies never hurts, Especially when a storm is brewing!

WW

Or when you just want a "blank"-eating-grin on your face, ear-to-ear, ha! smile Trust me, you will have that, and it gets bigger as the throttle goes down wink

Have fun!

You guys Rock! I am about 100% sure that I am rushing it. I get to excited to get moving to wait. Ill try waiting next time Im out. I havent used any fuel additive for summer fishing.

This is a great motor, I actually chose it because I worked at mercury about 5 years ago as a reliability engineer. The 2.5L engines never go down and as far as reliability this engine is at the top of the list for all brands.

I just need to be more patient and Im sure I will quit having the problem.

Thanks!

-A