• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pussy willow

paul pachowicz

decades ago while growing up in Wisconsin my Pa & Ma would "root" [me] willow. I'm not sure how they did it but, I think they simply took cuttings and put them in a jug of water until little shoots developed and then planted them in wet areas. I brought some small clippings back from "another place" with hopes of getting them to take off. Anyone know how to do that?

Since you haven't had a direct response I will tell you that when trying to root cuttings of plants I have had better luck when putting a rooting powder on them. Of course I don't know what the name of the stuff is but I am sure just about any nursery would have it. Of course since you're in SD that may mean a 100 mile round trip and I doubt that I'd bother just for this stuff. Other thing I would try would be to put them into a bucket with moist peat moss and see if that helps get them started. Too much water is bad, and so is too little.

Great advice I' ve offered isn't it.

I've not done this with [me] willows, but I created a thicket of willows on a point that I like to duck hunt. There was no cover to make a decent blind in, so I grew my own cover! Simply cut some branches off of a nearby willow, stuck them in the moist ground, and they took off like a champ.

You can do the same thing with several varieties of maple.

Between Tom's and my oh-so-learned advice, you've got it made!

I have 3 [me] willows on my yard. I don't have room for more, but found this info:

Propagating [me] willow trees is easy. They root so readily that cut branches can simply be inserted into moist soil in summer. Roots will develop within a few weeks. A few planting tips for [me] willow trees to remember:

Take the cuttings from the new growth on male [me] willows, not the older, gray-colored branches.

There's a right and a wrong end of the cutting to stick in the ground. The end that you want to insert into the ground is the end that you cut -- in other words, the bottom of the stem as it was growing in the wild.

Take a cutting that is about as thick as a pencil and at least one foot long. It needs to be long enough for a few inches to be underground (for stability), while a couple of nodes should still be showing above ground.

If you don't wish to wait until summer, bring your [me] willow cuttings inside and root them in water; then transplant outside when danger of frost is past.

These trees have invasive roots. Consequently, plant your cuttings far away from septic tank fields, sewer lines or water lines.