• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexlar fl8 slt queston

Jethro80

Question

Well I had a terrible afternoon this weekend. 2 out of 3 electronics went crazy but I will only worry about the vex to start things off. I am having alot of interference, the battery is new. My question is would it be the ducer or the head unit?

4 answers to this question

Define interference?

Is it clutter from suspended particulates, or weeds? If so, then adjusting the gain and/or the use of the LP Mode or an S-Cable on a older Fl-8 will clear that up.

Or is it counter rotation feedback caused by cross talk, if that is the situation use the IR button on the Vexilar to eliminate it?

Cross talk interference will occur if competing electronics are using the same KHZ transducer output, in the case of the Vexilar it is a 200 KHZ unit. The Vexilar should be able to shift the frequency by means of the IR function and eliminate the Cross Talk problem. Depending on the make and model of the other electronics this may solve there issues as well, if not adjusting the ping speed on the other sonars may do that for you.

Lots of variables may effect cross talk interference, depending on the sonars you are using and there location and condition.

There was no one in the area and all electronics were turned off. The interference was clutter from the top to bottom. It would typically look like weeds all the way up the water column but none were around. I also have to turn the gain up quite high compared to normal. Usually I can get away with having it set at 2 at the very highest, now its 4 or more. The unit is 13 years old. I have the ducer mounted on the bottom of the boat. My guess after reading past posts, it would be the ducer, I hope.

I plan on finding a ducer and hopefully that will correct the problem, then I can start to troubleshoot my zercom paperless graph. Thanks Ed for your input!