Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glenn57

grass clippings

5 posts in this topic

sent the wife and kid down to the local landfill place to get grass clippings for in my garden and they would not give them any. they told them the state shut them down. once the clippings come threw there gates they are not allowed to give them away of in other words cant leave there premises. does anyone know why. at this point kinda dumb if ya ask me! cryeekconfusedconfused

Just a guess but I'd say possibly a potential liability issue. There are some chemicals that can be sprayed on lawns or grass in general that don't play well with others long after they've been composted. Clopyralid is one of them. Put composted grass clippings on the wrong plants (most composites), and the product is still active. It will also pass through livestock unscathed and come out in the urine as several including myself have noted after spraying pastures.

probably afraid of spreading noxious and invasive species around also.

I would never put on grass clippings I didn't mow myself or know where they came from......They could bring in weeds and herbicides you don't want in your garden.