• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dave Genz Ice box

Bigjake

Question

12 answers to this question

I have the ice box and I love it..the advantage is that you can plop it down into a deep pile of slush and you don't have to worry about anything. It's very durable. When I'm moving, I keep it in an old,small duffle bag.

I think the Genz box has an articulated arm that holds a puck type transducer (that was how it was rigged in the "old" days anyway), while the propack has the ice-ducer with float. The ice-ducer is self leveling, and if you want to jump from hole to hole and quickly check depths, then the propack is the way to go. The ice-ducer also allows for adjustment for varying ice thickness, so the bottom of the transducer can always be level with the bottom of the hole (for best signal reception, without adding more gain, and thus more noise). The genz box has to be set near the hole, and the puck transducer leveled with the addition of an appliance type round bubble level epoxied to the top of the puck. While the propack can be as far from the hole as the length of the ducer cord will allow, giving a little more flexibility in viewing. Other than that they are both just essentially plastic cases that mount a vex, battery, and in the case of the propack, a battery status indicator. What is a really nice accesory for the propack, is the "blue bag", a zippered case with a clear window that protects your vex in the worst of conditions, I also recommend the mag-screen, for keeping snow out of the flasher screen, and enlarging the "picture". Like I said, this is how it was years ago, if the genz box is now sold with the ice-ducer, than there is little difference, as a battery status indicator could be added to the Genz box, I know there is a "square" cloth case available for the economy pack, whether this will fit the Genz box as well, I am not sure. If you are going to use the vexilar in your boat in the summer with a puck transducer, and you do not want an ice-ducer, than perhaps the Genz box would be the way to go. $0.02

The current genz boxes don't have the arm that coldone is referring to. There is a difference between buying a pro pack, an ice ducer, and the genz box...the genz box is made by a seperate company and will work with any ice ducer. You can also use the genz box as far as the cord for the ducer allows. Some stores, build custom packages and use the genz box for mounting but again this is not part of the vexilar offering. The pro pack, on the other hand, is an option sold by vex.

The Bass

The pro pack with the soft blue cover stores real nice in a 2-1/2 gal.black bucket, helps keep it warm on a sunny day on the ice also saves the life of the battery.Ice ducer is the way to go anyway,no need for the old genz setup with the puck ducer and level.If you cut small holes just pull the ice ducer up and out of the way.><sUMo>-----><> Jig Stick

[This message has been edited by Jig stick (edited 11-24-2002).]

I used a blue box for 'bout 10 yrs with my first vex which had a puck transducer mounted on the shaft that suspended it in the water. I currently have a Pro pack, and prefer it over the blue box because it's more compact, and as Jig Stick said, it fits in a bucket prefectly for storage and transporting. I did buy the attachment for my pro pack that suspends the iceducer in the water because I think the floating icedudcer gets in the way and I don't like pulling it out of the hole every time I catch a fish.

hawgTime

HawgTime - I agree with you on the floating ice ducer. It takes up too much room and is in the way alot. We fish on the run for panfish and drilling a second hole is a pain if im only gonna be in a hole for 10 minutes. I have an older fl-8 (10 years) that is mounted on an blue box. A few years ago I bought an ice ducer and to solve the floating ducer problem I just put an eye skrew in the front of the box took the foam floatie off the ducer cable and hang the ducer on the eye skrew. Just plop the box on the back side of the hole and its level. I keep the ducer down the hole just enough so the signal isnt affected be the ice and almost never have fish tangle with the ducer....

Northern Blue - I did like BW Eddy did and took heavy stiff foam and built it around the battery. If ya take tha battery and shift it all the way to one side of the blue box there will be room to make and area out of said foam to fit the transducer and protect it. Just my 2 cents but I like that eye skrew better than the float. Guess it depends on what type of shelter your fishing out of too and where you want your vex for viewing...

Here's a trick I stole from a fishing buddy. Put an "O" ring, the kind you put on a radiator hose, and run it through the back of the blue box, around your battery and back out to the connector. You’ll need to cut two little slits into the blue box to fit the "O" ring through. It keeps the battery real tight. And do what the others mentioned, put Styrofoam under the battery to keep it warmer.

I bought an FL18 propack late this Spring and can't wait to get out on some ice to use it. This will be my first winter fishing with a flasher. I also bought an Ice Box to mount my FL18 on. Before I do so I was wondering what modifications guys have done to their Ice Boxes. I have the ice ducer and my Ice Box came with the eye bolt as well so I can try both these options to see what works best for me. What about storing my transducer? How/Where do you guys store your transducers without banging or scratching them up?

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to incorporate them. I'm not sure if I can get my transducer in the box along side the battery. It's a dual beam and might be too big. I was thinking of attaching a short piece of PVC with some foam in it. I'll have a better look in the morning.

I built my own box using plans found in the icefishing secrets book. I altered them a little bit and added foam packing material around the battery and transducer when not in use as well as making a little storage compartment up front. I can use the foam float for the transducer or use an eye hook I atatched to the front of the box. I've built 4 of these boxes and all tolled I'd say I have MAYBE 15 bucks tied up in em using scrap materials I have layin around the garage. My first box is still goin strong after 12+ years of service. I also take it with on my boat open water fishin.
I'm by no means an expert with wood working but in a couple hours time ANYONE can make one of these boxes.