• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Sucker Caddy! Update!

Shack

By Shack wink

With all this talk about keeping bait I figure I would share what I am using to keep large suckers alive during transport to faraway regions (1.5 hour car rides). Plus if I am a rider in a boat I might have to keep these things alive during working hours on a Friday while in my trunk wink

Pictures speaks a thousand words so this is it:

3613196796_63a45c5565_o.jpg

3612401687_8feb0a166b_o.jpg

3612404809_b71305f60b_o.jpg

Great for the back seat because it does not spill any water wink Also the cooler (as we all know) keeps the water temp down during a hot day in the car or even the garage.

You cab build this system for about $50.00 at Wal-Fart wink Holds about a dozen or so 12" sucker very nice.

I will let other comment on this that have experienced it and thanks to them I know wink. These Rubbermaid containers when filled with water have been known to split. Leaving all your bullies dry and the area around the container wet as heck. wink

I use it as a water catch for the cooler. I tested a couple coolers and found even the expensive ones leak to a point. I just combined the best of both worlds so my truck or car does not stink like moldy water grin

spring clean up day is always the cheapest way to get a bait tank there are always coolers, 50 gal drums, rubbermaid containers, and freezers, just look around even or on cragslist under free stuff. people are always giving away nice things that would work for a bait tank i have never paid for my bait tanks and i have three of them a cooler with with and waly airator and a 50 gal drum with a pool pump and a wash tub with a side filter all three work nice but all around the cooler is nice because you can bring it with

Great tips RRZ.

I have to give props to RRZ. His on the road setup for getting and keeping bait is what got me going on getting my own bait. As a matter of fact the only real river shad I have ever had was gifted from RRZ. grin

Well! I put the Sucker Limo to the test this weekend.

Filled it up on Friday evening and just switching them back in the bait tank right now (same water all weekend).

3648868705_6faf0d933e.jpg

When fishing I will only bring 4-5 out but wanted extra's if the need should arise. I figure I would test the limits of the Sucker Limo in extreme interior vehicle heat of the summer. Not a scorcher of a weekend but Saturday did see some nice high temps with tons of sun. Today also had some heat but not like Saturday. All I can say is the inside of my SUV was well over a 100 deg. when we I opened the door around 1:30pm Saturday. Not one sucker lost. I did not have to add ice or change water all weekend. If I am going to be out fishing when the temps are in the upper 90's or 100's, the space between the cooler and the Rubber Maid tote will be a great place to stash some ice. I would still like to test it with no ice or ice bottles when it is in the upper 90's with a couple suckers in the cooler all day. The next hot weekend run I will monitor the water and the exterior/interior (or the SUV) temps with my bait tank elec. temp gauge. It will record air and water temp highs and lows also.

I have been struggling with a tank that can hold an amount of large suckers, keep the water temps cooler and not leak all over the inside of the SUV while driving to the river. This idea has really worked out so far for me.

3648867835_a1bb8d6039.jpg

The Pro's: I have listed in this thread. You can read back.

The Con's: The unit is kind of on the heavy when filled. You also have to keep an eye on the water spillage into the Rubber Maid tank from the cooler. I only dumped it out once, and it was not that high, but if left unchecked (driving on some bumpy roads) it could fill up, and breach the outer tote.

I give it an A so far for its purpose.

Thanks elwood. I figure if some or all did pass it would not be enough time to start any reel stink. I changed the name also to Caddy grin I did not like Limo any more grin