• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Campgrounds North of Two Harbors

jbell1981

I need some help find a campground near the north-shore that meets the following.

-On a kid friendly lake. We have a 8,5 & 4 year old and would preferably be on a lake with good panfish populations to keep the kids busy. The kids and wife would prefer a beach and clear water. A few northerns/walleyes would be nice for Dad while everyone else is at the beach.

-Be north of Two Harbors but probably not much further than Tofte and preferably with-in a 1/2 hour of the hwy 61.

-Preferably have an outhouse and a well. Electricity is not needed.

-Somewhat excluded. I know thats hard to do given the other requirements. But at some campground the sites are 10 feet apart. A little privacy would be nice, you know at least have a few trees between sites. A lakeside site would be a must.

Can anyone throw out a few ideas to get me started looking in the right places?

Thanks!

Check out Cadotte Lake campground. It's a forest service campground in the Superior National Forest. It's exactly what you're looking for. The beach is very nice, nice sites, on a fishing lake. To find Codotte Lake on google maps, google for Fairbanks, MN.

I was actually on Caddotte this weekend with some friends. Its a nice lake, but not a good lake for the kids. They need some good panfish action and caddotte doesn't have that. Its also a little further from the north shore than I am looking for.

Thanks Anyway.

I know you said you wanted to stick close to 61 but if you are willing to go a little further north from 61 the Fall Lake campground east of Ely is extremely family friendly. There are flush toilets and hot showers. The water isn't clear (it is a little stained) but there is a nice beach and there is also a playground the kids might enjoy. The lake has decent crappies, walleyes and northerns. The campsites definitely have some trees between them for a little screening.

Otherwise you could try these web sites for a listing of USFS campsites that may work for you:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/superior/recreation/camping/rustic_camp.php

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/superior/recreation/camping/fee_camp.php

Casey,

Thanks for the input. I am thinking about abandoning the hwy 61 thing and check out some other places. Fall and Echo lakes are on my list of places to check out.

How is the fishing on Fall Lake? Enough small fish to keep the kids busy?

If you can find crappies, which should be moving into shallower water now, there should be enough to keep the kids busy and there is the potential for some slabs. There are also some decent sunnies to be had. There are also enough snot rockets (little northerns) running around that they could tie into a number of those and have some good line shakers.

If they get bored with the fishing there is a play ground, beach and hiking trail. Not far from the campground is another hiking trail to Kawishiwi Falls.

The campground was "remodled" about six years ago and it is extremely nice.

There are also a ton of other lakes within a short driving distance that you could hit if you didn't mind loading up the boat. Cedar is good for walleyes and it is close to Fall. Tofte has rainbows and splake and is about 10 or 15 miles further east. You can usually troll that lake with a blue/silver Kast Master and pick up rainbows easily. If you kids hooked into a couple of those they would probably be pretty entertained.