Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JewellOutdoors

This is how you catch and sort leeches

15 posts in this topic

We finally had a chance to shoot a short home made documentary on how to trap leeches. How else have you seen it done?

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing smile

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

cool videos! i have dial up and it was well worth the time to load them!!

cool videos! i have dial up and it was well worth the time to load them!!

Very cool. I love to see businesses like this and I can tell you all are passionate about it.

Thanks for sharing!

Nancy's job looks like fun.

that was cool, only other way I've seen it done was on Dirty Jobs on Discovery, they followed a northern MN family that trapped, sorted and sold.

thats awesome! ive always wondered....

ive heard that you can use a coffee can, and punch holes in it with a large nail (punching INTO the can), and then you put some meat on the inside... would this work too?

Very neat.

I would like to try and trap some leeches for some fishing coming up.

Sifty

Yes, you can use the coffee can method if you don't have aluminum. We've been talking about branding some leech traps and selling them at some point! : ) Some guys use plastic bags with holes in them. But this is the most efficient way we've found.

One key advantage to the flat traps is that if you are unable to check your traps for a few days, the leeches can leave. So, you're not doing any damage to their livelihood. Good trappers will take good care of their ponds, and care for their bait.

Thanks a lot. Its a good business to be in - I love conversing with fishermen after they use the bait. Its awesome to hear the good stories. Sometimes they share filets too!

Very cool. I love to see businesses like this and I can tell you all are passionate about it.

Thanks for sharing!

Nancy's job looks like fun.

I've seen that video - Mike Rowe is very cool. The way they trap in that video is pretty much the same, except they use canoes. I am going to try cooking some one of these days too!

that was cool, only other way I've seen it done was on Dirty Jobs on Discovery, they followed a northern MN family that trapped, sorted and sold.