• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

parental permission slip for kids needed?

I'm heading up to Ear Falls with my Dad and brothers and bringing along my 14 yr old son. Do I need some type of note from his mother to get him out of the country? He has a passport and is obviously able to speak for himself. Dont need any extra hassles once we get to the border

wouldn't hurt to have a note from his mom. I always had a note but Canada customs never ask for a note when its just me and our boys yet. I know a few guys ( local ) who were sent back because he had his son or daughter along and didnt have a note from the other parent. I find it easier getting into Canada than it is getting back into the U.S. Good luck fishing up there!

gadgetman,

I went through this last year with my 16 and 14 year old sons on a Hunting trip, The border agent told me straight out that I would not have been able to enter w/o the pernission slip from Mom, I also had the slip notorized. If it can bite you in the but at the border it will.

have a good trip.

We, too, head up with kids in tow without the second parent, and always bring along a signed note. We've never gotten it notorized though and haven't had any problems. (Just the time when a buddy forgot to have a note, and sure enough they asked.)

We also get notes from parents of other kids we're bringing across to alleviate any problems with them as well.

Easy enough to do to save a big hassle.

We recently crossed at Pigeon River. In the past i have had the notarized permission slip, but this time didn't, though I had his original birth certificate and he had his drivers permit along (picture ID). They studied that but never asked for a note. I don't think thye will ask you for it but if it's not inconveneient, I'd bring one, notarized.

We always bring permission slips for the kids just in case. If you are divorced, you will definitely need a permission slip from your son's mother. It wouldn't hurt to get it notarized, but the main thing is you have a document from his mother acknowledging that she is aware you are bringing him into Canada and that you have her consent. The permission slip should include your wife's name, your son's name, DOB, dates for the trip, destination, etc.

Have fun on Lac Seul (or wherever you end up).

Like others said, bring the note just in case. A couple of years ago, my wife was coming up to meet me in the Angle with my daughter and I got a call from the Border Patrol asking if it was OK if she brought our kid into Canada. There have been several times since that she had a note and they haven't asked but better to be on the safe side and not ruin your trip.

Just got back this morning with my 12 year old son and a friend of his. They did not ask for anything except for ID's this time. Play it safe. I have always brought along a copy of the divorce papers, son's passport, son's birth certificate, and notorized permission slip from mom. The permission slip should include the days you will be in Canada, where and who they will be staying with, phone numbers for both parents, passport numbers for child and parent who is traveling with child, date of birth of child, and address of mom. I know it sounds like over kill but I would rather be prepared for the worst then to be turned back at the border after having driven 15 hours.

Interesting topic. I brought my two girls with me last year and was asked for a permission slip from mom. I was suprised because we live on the border, have a cabin in Canada,am still married to Mom and have crossed a hundred times and NEVER been asked before. I asked point blank if it was a requirement and was told no that it was a "good idea". I asked if Mom would need a permission slip from me and she said no. She let us go through.

This year I was asked again if mom knew and I said yes. She then asked the girls if mom knew. After giving me a big smile they both said yes, She let us through.

I understand that it is for the kids protection and am OK with that but it seems that it is pretty arbitrary. My 02 cents.

Duckster