• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer Boards & The "Trollers Bible" Trolling Depth Guide Book

mnhunter79

Just bought a new trolling depth guide book and 2 planer boards (The Walleye Board). Went out for a bit tonight trolling at 2.0 mph. using a #5 hot perch salmo hornet. The book says to let out aprox. 20 feet of line for 8 FOW but when not using a board i can't feel the bottom til i let out 40+ feet of line in 8 FOW. How accurate is this book? Using power pro braid with a 4 foot 8 lb. mono leader.

Must have to pay really close attn to the board if not using the tatle flag. The wife had a hit on hers tonight(no flag), picked up the rod out of the rod holder and i asked if there was anything on? She said no. Few min later i was watching her board and it was acting like the rapala was digging into the bottom, so we reeled in both boards and she happend to have a nice 16 inch walleye on. Suprise suprise. NOTE: this was the first time using planer boards for walleye, iv'e used them on lake michigan, but those are much bigger fish. Must just have to use them more often to get used to them huh?

Any tips or tricks on how to detect a bite easier? Do you FM'ers that use boards watch the board or the rod tip? THANKS.

Your baits have to be completely in tune to get their maximum depth, if you weren't getting down there it's possible your bait was running off to one side.

Also, with that small amount of line out (and when checking for planer boards) you should have your rod tip right at the water's surface.

Also, the line diameter will affect the running depth, it depends on what size power pro you were running and what you were comparing too in the book.

I watch the boards, not the rod tips. Tattle flags help a ton but you can have to learn how to read the boards whether you have the flags or not. I think it's easier to read them if you're trolling flat calm or with the wind, when you start going into or across the wind the waves put more action on the boards and that makes them tougher to read.

Watch the board. It takes a little time to be able to read your boards. With some time on the water pulling planer boards for walleyes you will be able to tell if there are weeds or small fish hanging on the line with no problem. It just takes some time. Like Perchjerker said the tattle flags help out a lot especially for detecting those subtle irregularities in the crank bait.

Good luck and have fun with the boards. It is one of my favorite ways to walleye fish!!!!!!!

Matt

I live in the mud hole SW part of the state. Water depth is rarely over 10 feet on most of my local lakes. I pull raps ALOT at 2.0 to 2.5 MPH. Fishing for dummies I like to call it.

I use alot of #9 to #11 floating raps. I use a fair amount of shads also. I have found this: When you think you have let out enough line... let out some more. When you think you let out too much line... let out a little more yet. This way boat noise isn't an issue, and plainer boards are not needed. The more line you let out the more fish you'll catch. I guarantee.

If your linecounter reels are full of line, then the book is pretty darn accurate. Check them with a measuring tape. Pull out 100' of line off the linecounter (using the reel's counter) then check it with a measuring tape. I think you will find you will need to add more backing on your reels.

Also, remember line diameter needs to be accounted for too. The reference line in the book is 10# test .0134 diameter mono. If the line you are using is thinner than that, you will find you need to let out less line for the lure to reach the desired diving depth. The latest editions of the Precision Trolling book have some 10# test/4# diameter FireLine curves that illustrate this. There is also a line diameter conversion chart in the front of the book to help you deal with other line diameters.

Tattle flags really help, Good Luck!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

The Salmo #5 runs to 8 foot deep. Try 20 yards.

According to the "bible", it says 25ft out for 8ft down. FWIW. I wouldn't take the book as gospel though, but rather a fairly good guide.

Using different lines will affect the diving depth as well. The curves are based on #10 mono but they also have curves for Fireline too.