• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker question

midex717

Hopefully one of the mechanics can chime in on this one. I have a Merc 9.9 pro kicker that I use for trolling. Tonight we fished running the kicker for about 4 hours or so. Towards the end of the evening we noticed that there was a oil streak on the water's surface, and when rpms were increased, it was blowing blue smoke. Not a huge amount of smoke, but it was noticable. I shut it down, and checked the oil level which was good, and noticed that there was some oil that had blown around inside the cowling. I changed the oil last fall when I winterized the motor.

Would overserviceing of the oil cause this? Maybe I put a bit too much oil in it after I changed it.

Thank you in advance for any input.

4 strokes that are run at low speeds tend to run a little cool.

That'll will get condensation in the oil thus a higher oil level.

Don't overfill and check the oil level every time out.

If the level gets high I'd opt for changing the oil rather then draining some off.

Thank you! I thought the same thing, as long as I'm draining some oil I may as well change it, and start over. Is there a fast way of cleaning the oil out of inside of the cowling without damaging any components?