Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WyoChris

Cavemen on the water

34 posts in this topic

Just kidding. Seriously though, does anyone get tired of all the "rants" on this forum. The lakes are for everyone... some people are more experienced at boating than others and some people just aren't that experienced. I think there are more serious things to worry about in this world than if someone leaves their boat tied to the dock for 5 minutes... or throws a bucktail in late may. Most of the arguments on a lake involve one party that just doesn't have any patience or maturity. If you don't like other people motoring around you, do what i do... fish at night or in the early morning.

Just my "rant"... figure i'd throw my 2 cents in and look at it from another perspective

about a 2 weeks ago i had to ore my 16 foot tri haul boat from just the grays bay side of wayzata bay to the yacht club boat launch cause i ran out of gas being dumb... i ored right past, about 70 feet, to people fishing!!! they wouldn't tow me in! they said they didn't come to mess around they came to fish!!! i have towed 3 boats in and 1 kite surfer dude already this year!!! i wish i could find out who they where... just rude. your story made me think of that!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Thats what its all about. Whether its at a boat dock or any other place. That is what society today does not have enough of. Everybody understands that not everyone is at the same level of competency in launching boats, fishing etc..., And people are new to things, but respecting the other people around you in all facets of life is what it is about.

I agree with all the above. WTB I would have towed you without even thinking twice about it. There are some good samaritans still out there. Just fewer of them now days.

about a 2 weeks ago i had to ore my 16 foot tri haul boat from just the grays bay side of wayzata bay to the yacht club boat launch cause i ran out of gas being dumb... i ored right past, about 70 feet, to people fishing!!! they wouldn't tow me in! they said they didn't come to mess around they came to fish!!! i have towed 3 boats in and 1 kite surfer dude already this year!!! i wish i could find out who they where... just rude. your story made me think of that!

I may be wrong on this, but I was told a few years ago that it is illegal not to help out a boater in trouble. Not sure or not, but it's worth looking into. I don't get why anyone wouldn't tow someone else in.

I think poor boating etiquette (sp?) is from one of three things:

1)Don't know

2)Don't Care

3)Both of the above

If we have some members on this forum who maybe are committing some of the deeds mentioned in the previous posts or know others who are, perhaps them reading will help them learn what is wrong and right.

Steve

Just kidding. Seriously though, does anyone get tired of all the "rants" on this forum. The lakes are for everyone... some people are more experienced at boating than others and some people just aren't that experienced. I think there are more serious things to worry about in this world than if someone leaves their boat tied to the dock for 5 minutes... or throws a bucktail in late may. Most of the arguments on a lake involve one party that just doesn't have any patience or maturity. If you don't like other people motoring around you, do what i do... fish at night or in the early morning.

Just my "rant"... figure i'd throw my 2 cents in and look at it from another perspective

Why would anybody tie up to a public access dock for longer than it takes to walk from their tow vehicle back to the dock? How could someone be that inconsiderate? Does the world only revolve around them? Yes, a person that would do something like that is a caveman. (No ill will to the insurance commercials.)

Just kidding. Seriously though, does anyone get tired of all the "rants" on this forum. The lakes are for everyone... some people are more experienced at boating than others and some people just aren't that experienced. I think there are more serious things to worry about in this world than if someone leaves their boat tied to the dock for 5 minutes... or throws a bucktail in late may.

The joy of the simple rant! It shows through on this site everyday. Fishing gives us such peace of mind that we can dwell on the simple mental misfires of our fellow fishermen. Nothing wrong with blowing off a little steam on an issue that means absolutely nothing in the mainstream. I think that’s why the theme of the site is "We Have More Fun".

I don't have much tollerance for complainers so I seldom read rants unless they require mod editing.

WTB funny you should mention that. Two years ago A friend and I pulled his new/used boat down to Lake Havasu on the California/Arizona border for a spring break trip. Well not being able to water test it here in MN due to the hard water season the dealer assured us it was water ready. It wasn't. We launched the boat and were having some major engine problems, I'll spare the details, anyway it was quite obvious that we were not in good shape.

So a bass fisherman casts right around us and three other boats drive right by. After figuring that no one was going to help I tied a rope to the front and jumped in to swim the boat back to the landing. In case you don't know Lake Havasu is not exactly warm in March, I'm guessing temps were about 50, and I didn't even have any liquid courage in me yet to take the edge off. A boat even motored right by while I was swimming ours in. Anyway the point being was I finally got her back to the landing and made the comment that, "that would have never happened in MN, someone would have stopped to help." But I guess WTB's experience proved me wrong, of course it was on Minnetonka.

I bet that I pull in at least two people a year, and jump another couple. It's just common sense to help someone out on the water in need. Especially if there is weather or strong winds.

Oh, and Havasu on a boat is quite the place to be during spring break. Lots and lots of scenery if you know what I mean.

I don't have much tollerance for complainers so I seldom read rants unless they require mod editing.

Oops, sounding close to a complaint... grin

I think rants have a place on the forum. As much as I don't like complaining, I do enjoy reading about other peoples experiences on the water. I think for the most part, the rants stay within certain posts that have topics conducive to ranting (like this one). If anything, these rants may teach a fellow fisherman one or two things about how to handle a situation in the future or as a preventative measure in order for it not to happen to you. It's awfully disrespectful for someone to turn down helping a guy who is in need on the water. Boat problems demand a certain level of urgency on the water before things go South even quicker. Surely the tools who denied help came on the water with the intention to fish and not cruise around looking to help people out. But when a guy needs help, what is 15 minutes out of a 8 hour day of fishing to help a brother out? I'd take comfort in knowing they probably didn't catch squat that day...What comes around goes around. Gotta love Tonka'.

A few years back on Bald Eagle, my motor gave out on the furthest distance from the landing. Even after watching me unsuccessfully trying to start it and beginning to row, nobody even asked what was wrong. It was a long row across that lake.

Luckily I was younger at the time.

A few years back on Bald Eagle, my motor gave out on the furthest distance from the landing. Even after watching me unsuccessfully trying to start it and beginning to row, nobody even asked what was wrong. It was a long row across that lake.

Luckily I was younger at the time.

Did you try to wave down passerbys? Don't expect people to necessarily stop and offer help if you don't request it.

In reading the stories no one says that they asked for help. You rowed on by but it would help to ask for asistance rather than expect it. Just my 2 cents

Guess that was my bad...thought I did the hand cross a couple of times..only can remember the bad parts, not what I did!!!! shocked

This is a rant topic, not an "",oooops I messed up topic! laugh

This is a rant topice, not an "",oooops I messed up topic! laugh

I really don't like it when people start ranting about the other comments. LOL

my perspective on whining is like a rocking chair.. it gives you something to do but gets you no where... it is unlawful to ignore other boaters in need of help, thats what the book says.. if my motor ever dies and i haave nothing else to do that day, wind is blowing in the right direction and the weather is nice ill just drip a jig er something and float in.. think of the possibilities!

I agree with all the above. WTB I would have towed you without even thinking twice about it. There are some good samaritans still out there. Just fewer of them now days.

I look for those in trouble and as bad as it sounds I long for the day I can help someone in need. I was once towed to shore and I thank God for the tow. Theres nothing worse then someone on a lake so self obsorbded that they can't help others out. There is a limit however as to how long people spend at the access....... Most can tell the newbeis from the inconcederate. I think most that wait for a long time at the access know the differance.we all need to watch each others back... wink

I have towed plenty of people in, and also pulled many out of snow in winter. I never take money, and usualy it is good experience for all parties. But you have to admit, that a little bit of preparing would eliminate the majority of such needed tows. I.e. running out of gas, unless on a river where you might underestimate the amount needed, is totally self inflicted smile

Someone mentioned about it being law to render assistance. You only need to get them to safety, not tow them all the way back across the lake. That means the closest dock. Some people, me included, will usually tow you the entire way, but I don't believe it is being selfish or rude at all to want to spend my time fishing and not towing some guy across the lake, after all, I spent the time making sure my boat is seaworthy.

And if you do need help, make it obvious. Wave a flag, PFD, something. BTW I pulled a guy out of the circle of death (WOT boat going around him after he was thrown) in 50 degree water when there were two other boats who should have seen what was going on, so I see the point in being angry at folks who don't help. But maybe they weren't experienced enough to even know there was a problem... wink

In reading the stories no one says that they asked for help. You rowed on by but it would help to ask for asistance rather than expect it. Just my 2 cents

I did say that we talked to the guy. Plus my Girlfriend was waving down every boat made by man with her arms, a flash light, and ore and blow horn. we where in the worst place for this to happen due to the way boat traffic flows in Wayasta Bay.

Also to all the kind people out there thank you and I hope one day I can tow you guys back in. FYI still looking for these men in there 16ft red lund!!!

I towed in a boat that ran out of gas up at our cabin in Northern WI and ended up marrying one of the ladies I met from the encounter 3 years later. Sometimes it pays to extend a helping hand!

I towed in a boat that ran out of gas up at our cabin in Northern WI and ended up marrying one of the ladies I met from the encounter 3 years later. Sometimes it pays to extend a helping hand!
thats awesome!

That's great! Now if it would have been 3 drunken guys that were stranded, would you have stopped to tow them in?