• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Laptop ???

Esox_Magnum

Question

Looking at getting a laptop for trips and to replace my ancient desktop. Not many choices around here but Wally World, they had 2 I liked a Toshiba Sattalite 355, 4GB memory 320 MB hard drive other was a Dell with the same memory and harddrive. Anyone have expeience with either of these or can recomend something good in the price of these ( $500-$700 )

9 answers to this question

In that price range that is a typical product, so you really aren't going to find anything noticeably better. With either you are probably going to find the same: if you take care of them they'll work well. The only real comment I can make is the batteries on older Satellites were shot after about a year, and they aren't cheap to replace.

Take a look at dell's web site on the OUTLET page.

They have refurbished laptops and also brand new ones that were built for someone but they didn't want it. You can find some good deals on there if you watch it close every day for new arrivals.

I purchased one last December that would have cost me $425 more if i would have ordered it new. It was a new system, just someone cancelled their order. It works fine and i have no issues with it.

I didn't actually save money because I ended up getting (Lots) more processor speed and more memory and a carry case and the DC plug in cord assembly all for the same price as my original lap top would have been.

FYI

I think either one would be fine. If you are going on trips with it, see what it would cost to get an extended battery for each of them. I have one on my laptop and can go close to eight hours on a charge. Well worth it.

What is your main purpose for the laptop (i.e. playing videos, spreadsheets or surfing the web)? This plays a big role in how much performance you need in a machine. How important is screen size? Battery Life? Any other primary areas to focus on?

Mainly surfing web sites and Face Book stuff, few pics and some music thats about it. Wherever I travel I'll have power and it will be plugged in 90% of the time at home. I want something I can use for several years before having to get another. This old Gateways going on 9 now I think it's time to upgrade. That and my wife got me addicted to Facebook games and my pc and Facebook don't get along well.

I have a friend who specializes in computer purchases. Most of the laptops are business quality. I bought one for my son for college and didn't spend a bundle and he hasn't had one problem with it. She is very helpful and she won't recommend a bad product. If you are interested in getting more information let me know(email me) and I can get you her email and business name.

Another company you might want to check out is Asus. They have been making a big splash in the comp. world lately because of how competitively priced they are. I've been looking into the netbooks they offer for basic multimedia playback and websurfing capability. The thing with PC's these days is you should really go into a purchase knowing that in about 4 years the technology will be outdated and you will probably need to upgrade the hardware or purchase another system. Otherwise, if you know someone that can build one for you. There's a lot of money to be saved going that route as well. I highly recommend avoiding Dell altogether. I've had and heard of numerous complaints in regards to customer service and support. Good luck in your search.

The one thing I will recommend first and foremost over all the rest, is warranty highly recommend the 3YR NBD (next business day) on-site repairs. Laptops are very tough to work in and replacement parts aren't typically run of the mill go to best buy and pick up.

I would stay away from buying anything at Wally World, Best Buy, Target or any other run in a buy one. Definitely use a major manufacturer, Dell, HP, Gateway or even Apple.

just my .02... and I'm in the business and deal with this stuff a lot.

Nothing worse then a laptop dying and facing a bill to repair that would possibly be more then buying a new one.

Warranty - Warranty - Warranty

RU