Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddha

Where has common sense gone?

52 posts in this topic

Went fishing on Gull saturday a.m., we were the 3rd boat at the landing and was amazed at 6:45 no one was there yet. We used the north landing and anyone who has used that landing knows it can be really busy. We lauched our boat right behind a local guide and went to park the truck. The whole time we were there a boat was tied up to the right side of the dock(you can launch on both sides of the dock)and nobody was by it. I went to park the truck next to the only other truck in the lot and it was the guys with the boat tied up to the dock drinking coffee and eating! I guess they figured since they were there first ones at the landing there is no hurry. This is a typical landing where you can move your boat off the dock and park it on shore if you don't leave right away. We took off and noticed 3 boats lined up as we left and finally saw the parked boat come by 20 minutes or so later. Am I off base or did these two guys have no clue what was going on?

One would think to launch AFTER breakfast, as to not block a launch access. But some people just don't think, or they think it is there landing. You could have untied their boat, to clear the other access.

That's pretty bad. I think some people just don't think about what they are doing in those situations...I find it pretty strange that they would sit in there car to eat breakfast and drink coffee if there boat has already been launched. Personally, I think most things are better experienced on the water. Nothing like sipping a cup of coffee and heading out to your favorite spot in the morning.

LOL, untying there boat to clear the access would have been pretty funny, and they might have learned a thing or two.

I think you are right on, never tie up an access no matter what. But that's just me, and yes donuts and coffee are better on the water wink

Over the years I've seen just about everything you can imagine being done to boats and equipment while waiting in line at the ramp. The lastest was at Vermillion on the walleye opener. Not one,but two idiots, were putting up ther bimini tops with thier boats tied up to the dock on both sides of the Frazier Bay launch while about 15 rigs waited in line to launch. It wasn't raining. Duh!!!

Speaking of interesting landings, I was fishing out front of a landing this weekend, and got to watch 4 boats in 1 big group show up around 10:00 AM Sunday. It took them over an hour to launch 4 boats and get on the water. They must have had a rough Saturday nite, because your could hear 2 of them yelling back and forth and they were having issues backing the trailer straight back. One boat thought they were pretty cool as he took off from the dock at full throttle, only to realize it was in 2 feet of water and when he dug down, well I am sure the prop got polished. He shut her down real quick and took it easy going out after getting his group in the boat. It was good entertainment.

Some people just dont get it, they think they own everything, you cant teach stupid, some people are just born stupid

Nothing amazes me anymore, I saw a guy put on his registration stickers on the boat ramp once.......

Some day I am going to go to Minnetonka with a lawn chair and a 6 pack and just watch.

To me the ramp and the water space around it is the most sensitive area, get in and get out - coolers, tackleboxes, covers, backstraps etc all should be taken care of before you go near it. I'll even arrange to pick up the truck driver at a different area if possible.

Some parks have rules and signs against tying up to the dock.

There would be an exception if you are by yourself. I offered this weekend to hold it for him, while he backed in, but said no I can handle it myself, which he did a quick and good job.

I would have cut the ropes. cool

People like that just don't have a clue.

I left my boat tied to the dock and went up to get the truck. When I got back, there was a woman backing an empty trailer down to where my boat was parked. She asked me if I would move my boat so that she could load her boat which was tied to a dock 30 feet away.

This spot had two ramps and no one was on the opposite from me.

On a lighter note I ran into a guy and his younger son yesterday at the Three Rivers Launch on Tonka'. They had arrived at the landing a few minutes before me and pulled there boat out as I was pulling my trailer down to the ramp. The wind was howling from the NW at 20+ so trailering a 16ft. aluminum was gonna be a challenge not to mention the steep incline of the ramp making a drive-on load next to impossible. I began strapping on the waiters thinking it would be a solo job. The guy offered to help out and hop in the water while I drove her on the trailer. Incredibly nice of him to do so. I never expect anyone to give me a hand so I'm used to toughing out the conditions and can manage it well most of the time. But for the guy to hike up the jeans and stand barefoot in the water with white caps knocking into his knees to winch my boat up was beyond kind. Not to mention an eager kid ready to go home. While I can't stand improper launch etiquette; It's situations like this that restore your faith in mankind. Having been through some tough landing conditions on my own in the past, I'm more than willing to give a guy a hand if things aren't going as planned....we've all been there.

I go fishing quite a bit by my self. If I am alone I only tie to a dock if there is no ramp on the side I am tying to. If there is a ramp on both sides I beach it be it sand rocks or mud. I will not be standing in the way of others trying to get out. I wish more people would do the same.

Quote "Where has common sense gone?"

Where have you been?

Quote "I left my boat tied to the dock and went up to get the truck. When I got back, there was a woman backing an empty trailer down to where my boat was parked. She asked me if I would move my boat so that she could load her boat which was tied to a dock 30 feet away."

This one drives me nuts. Boats do not hold the place at the Ramp. Trucks do. She was in the right even if there was another ramp. All you get when people try to hold the place with the boat is a complete disaster.

How do you expect to get to the ramp with a truck to get your boat that is blocking the ramp when there are several trucks in line to get to the ramp in front of you and they cannot pull out because your boat is in the ramp(hypothetical). You end up with a continuous traffic jam that is not necessary.

I've tied up and parked the truck and gone right back to the boat. I've never sat there taking a space while I eat or putz with something. That's rediculous, but as others of have said, it doesn't suprise me.

some one chewed my A$$ this weekend on carlos becuause i scared his fish away when he coulda been on the fishing only dock then proceded to yell as i drove away...

Nothing amazes me anymore, I saw a guy put on his registration stickers on the boat ramp once.......

Some day I am going to go to Minnetonka with a lawn chair and a 6 pack and just watch.

Now that would be a GTG someday laugh Count me in!! I bet Dwight would come watch too. I'll bring a 6 pack and jerky

I think you need to relax. It's not the end of the world

A few years back I was at the one of the ramps on the south end of millelacs there were four boats waiting ahead of me the one backed into the water and three waiting. I got out took my cover off and got everything ready so I would'nt be the guy holding things up. it probably took me five minutes to be water ready. So I climbed out my boat look at the ramp and realize that the boat that was on the ramp when I got there was still in its origanal place, figureing that maybe he needed help I walked up there to offer a hand By now there was another four or five boats behind me. I get up to the guy ask if he needed a hand he tells me that he cant find the removable crank for the winch. he was looking every were as I was growing inpatent the guy who was parked directly in front of me walks up says what the #$@% is the problem I told him what I was just told he walked up to the guy and in a not so friendly manner tells him to move his #$$ out of the way so the rest of us can get to it. the guy hops into his truck and pulls out of the way grumbling to himself. heres were it gets funny the next truck has three guys in it the driver who I'm guessing was pretty new to launching his boat gasses the truck to pull ahead a few feet to get lined up with the ramp as he does this the boat stays rite were he was sitting minus the trailer that was still attached to the truck. It isnt funny if your that guy but I dam near wet myself I was laughing so hard, the guy who told the first boat to move out of the way lost it I thought that he was going to have stroke or shoot somebody I just sat in my truck and laughed why he cussed and carried on why the other three guys cranked it back on the trailer.

I fish alone and do my best not to tie up a dock, a little common sense goes a long way if a guys wife is making her fifth attempt at backing in, offer to back it in for her before she has a meltdown as for the guys eating did anyone ask the to move their boat worse case they tell you off then you know they are buttheads, A flash of lightning and clap of thunder and a wall cloud add to it 70 boats trying to load at that same dock you will find me on that dock not asking if they need help I just do it to keep chaos from breaking out then at the end I load mine maybe being 6'4" and 300# keeps them from telling me not too -- HA

Where did common sense go? WE VOTED IT OUT OF OFFICE! No one's responsible for their actions anymore wether it's paying taxes or boat etiquite. And if you call them on it they take the role of the victim! And then your the one that's out of line. It's only going to get worse. Be careful what you wish for!

I use that ramp all the time. Normally its pretty quick but every once in a while you'll see something that will make you go...huh?

So to all those people who think you shouldn't tie up to the dock, what am I supposed to do when I'm by myself? I'll beach my boat if it's sandy, but what if it's all rocks? Should I throw out my anchor and swim?

C'mon people, some people are being jerk-baits at the landing, but most are just new at it or are trying to go quickly but have a little problem. You've got the time to go fishing, so waiting an extra 5 mins won't hurt, life's to short to get worked up about this kinda carp.