• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a Ruling

DTro

I tell you what... this thread is entirely what flathead fishing is all about.

Darren knows what he's doing and is arguably one of the better catmen on the river. You just hit them dang streaks every now and again where nothing you do works.

So what do ya do... stick with what has worked, fish those memories. Or... totally try something new, different, unorthodox... fish one of those spots where people will laugh and say what the heck is he doing there.

No Flathead = Skunk grin

Originally Posted By: wooduck26
1. No. If fishing FLATHEADS, I consider it a group effort. If a FLATHEAD is boated I call it a success for everyone. Its a group effort,deciding where to fish, boat placement, etc. Im happy to see anyone in the boat catch fish. honestly.

2. No. Everyone gets desperate once in a while. wink

I think Wooduck26 said it pretty good. I 'll second this.

I would have to third this. In my eyes if therwe are fish boated there is no skunk and I have gone on many outtings were fish were boated and I didnt do it also. thats why they call it fishing not catching

I vote that if the boat lands a fish, NO SKUNK FOR YOU!!!

I vote that if you switch from Flats to Channels at your discretion, NO SKUNK FOR YOU!!!

I say this because when I come fishing with you in the next week or so, and I hook up with a flattie, I may not be able to Hanson it in, I will likely need you to help and that is team effort!!!

I just love being out on the river...and catching big fish is just half the fun. With that said...If my group is targeting Flatheads with live bait and only manage some Gar I would consider that being skunked. If I was targeting just about anything else I would consider any fish caught as eliminating the skunk.

Dtro, I see you picking things up and getting into or near the top of KOTC by October. I have heard that you spend lots of time on the water, so eventually luck will pick you up. I have been fortunate this year, but I do not expect that to last forever. Things can all change in one night with a 50 lb Flat being landed. All it takes is one night at the right place at the right time and she is yours.

Question # 1 NO. Any flat in the boat is not a skunk

Question # 2 Depends.. No if you catch a channel on cut bait. Yes if you get desperate and use stink bait. Definate yes if you catch a sheepie, on stink bait, then your considered at a negative 1 and you have to catch 2 channels just to get back out of the hole, but then you can't use stink bait crazy

If your not a captain and just run a shuttle service, then you get 110% credit for any cat caught and you cannot go into the negative if using stink bait grin

Seriously, every night has a twist or turn that gets put into the memory bank (good and bad).

A few nights ago, the deposit included an acrobatic muskrat, last night’s deposit included a tow strap. Who knows what tonight might bring.

I guess we now know that tonight brought a tow rope and a 35 minute drive from valleyfair to the 101 launch. My little 35 horse has never worked so hard in its life!

Luckily, the boat wasn't skunked. And we didn't even have to resort to stink bait.

1.) House rules definitely apply. Personally I think it's possible to differentiate between being skunked personally and being skunked collectively.

Largest fish, first fish, etc. are personal accomplishments.

e.g., "Jeez buddy, I got the first and the largest, and you got skunked!"

An entire boat can get skunked. If that happens too many times in a row, then you may start talking about being "Cursed." eek

With all that said I agree that catfishing is a far more social form of fishing, and with that in mind a personal skunk is far more tolerable if you assisted your buddy in a catch. All the better if you were the one who picked the spot, because that's an affirmation of your skills even if it wasn't you who hooked the fish. The best part is that you learned something that you can apply to next time.

Plus with the extensive amount of CPR (Especially seen here with the FM.com catfishing crowd) You now know that there is at least one fish in that stretch of the river and the next time it may be you who catches it! grin

2.) That's a personal thing, between you and your conscience. If all you cared about was catching something, then no it's not a skunk. If you had your heart set on one species I'd say yes. That's probably why A) I don't target just one species and B) I like fishing the river where God only knows what's the next thing you'll find on the end of your line! smile