• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a Ruling

DTro

1. So if you personally don’t catch a fish, but others do in the boat. Is that considered a skunk?

2. If you are desperate for a fish and reel in your live bait and throw out a cut bait and catch a Channel, is that considered a skunk?

If answer to both questions are a no, then I’ve been skunked very few if any times this year.

If answer is yes to 1 and no to 2 or vice versa, I’m having a pretty decent year.

If answer is yes to 1 and 2, then I’m going to have to go and start shopping for a King of the Skunks crown. grin

1. No. If fishing FLATHEADS, I consider it a group effort. If a FLATHEAD is boated I call it a success for everyone. Its a group effort,deciding where to fish, boat placement, etc. Im happy to see anyone in the boat catch fish. honestly.

2. No. Everyone gets desperate once in a while. wink

I generaly say the skunk falls to the boat. As long as the "boat" is not skunked, you are not skunked. If that means catching a small chanel so you can go home and get some breakfast, than by all means get some cut bait.

If you rode together, in your boat, and your buddy put fish in the boat, no one is skunked.

But that is "house rules" others may have differing oppinions and rules.

1. Yes

2. No

As for #2, I consider it a success as long as I catch something. I usually throw on crawlers early in the evening and catch a carp or a drum to get rid of the skunk early. Then I switch to cut suckers or bullheads when the sun starts to get low.

I have to disagree with Woodduck up above... If fishing for flatheads any flathead boated would make it a successful adventure, but you could still get skunked. In other words, your team might win, even if you didn't slip one past the goalie.

1. I typically consider fishing as a group effort when fishing from the boat. The captain along with anyone else on board need to communicate on boat placement, bait type/placement etc. This year I have been on the biggest dry spell, but everyone that comes out with me catches fish. I don't really consider this a "skunk" because were putting fish into the boat. I'm just not the one catching them and am more responsible for the boat and placement since they are so important with the kitties. However, if fishing solo....then it's a skunk if nothing is boated. wink

2. No, a fish is a fish. If you want to catch something and you switch up baits to target other species, more power to ya'.

No and No

Of course it is always more fun to catch the fish but sometimes it just doesn't happen. For whatever reason one person catches the fish instead of the other. Catfishing is a group activity and putting any fish in the boat gets the skunk stink out in my opinion.

1. I personally think there is a difference between being skunked yourself, and your boat being skunked, two totally different things.

2. A fish, is a fish. If you catch a fish, you aren't skunked, although you can still be skunked for flatheads wink

Personally I am not going to answer this question grin

If you are a catfisherman you are a winner in my book wink. You win some, you loose some. You cannot look at a skunk trip as failure and sure not if you are Dtro wink. I mean who in this forum has the biggest fish (at least kind enough to post about it) to date or at least since the start of the KOTC? I swear it is Dtro. smile

Quote:
15% of the credit of any fish goes to the captain:)

I agree with this also. If you are a rider, you are pretty much just that, a rider. When I go along with someone most times it is into areas I have not been. At this point I am just an assertive deck hand who is lucky enough to be able to toss out a line and (again IMO) capt. gets the first cast wink or if the capt. is busy I ask if it is ok to cast in this spot. If a fish is caught (IMO) I give more than 15% props to the capt... This not like Musky fishing where one lure being cast could look totally different to the other lure being cast in the same boat. We are pretty all using the same thing. Just like a guided trip. If no fish are caught who gets the blame laugh The guy along for the ride or the guy who is driving the boat?

Changing your approaches always has to be done. I was doing the same things for years and was lucky enough to get a fish once and awhile. I have changed up things thanks to help from others and I am getting fish most times out.

When I find myself having self-doubt about my abilities to catch catfish I go to my "happy place" which is right here! grin

About 30 minutes in their anyone is fired up to head back out no matter how many skunk trips you are rolling on wink

No self doubt Shack, just consider the topic a “chatter”.

Some people might take it as blowing smoke, but I honest to goodness have such a great time out there that I consider catching fish a bonus. Seriously, every night has a twist or turn that gets put into the memory bank (good and bad).

A few nights ago, the deposit included an acrobatic muskrat, last night’s deposit included a tow strap. Who knows what tonight might bring.

Speaking of that youtube link Shack, I got an interesting email the other day that had something to do with a production company making a big fish show for the National Geographic Channel whistle

1. No. If fishing FLATHEADS, I consider it a group effort. If a FLATHEAD is boated I call it a success for everyone. Its a group effort,deciding where to fish, boat placement, etc. Im happy to see anyone in the boat catch fish. honestly.

2. No. Everyone gets desperate once in a while. wink

I think Wooduck26 said it pretty good. I 'll second this.

Skunked == Not catching a fish during a trip

1.) Yes*

2.) No

*This is not the same as a regular skunk for me. I don't mind if I get skunked if I can see someone else haul some fish in the boat. That is species dependent though. If a guy in the boat catches 30 panfish to my skunk, I am going to be mighty peeved.

No self doubt Shack, just consider the topic a “chatter”.

Very seriously that is where I go when I can not get out or the fish are not biting. Nothing to do with this post just another good little tip I have found that works great for me when "I" have self doubt issues. grin

Originally Posted By: Dtro
Speaking of that youtube link Shack, I got an interesting email the other day that had something to do with a production company making a big fish show for the National Geographic Channel whistle

Seriously? Man that is great. No matter how your fishing is going I would roll with that like a bowling ball rolls down the lane grin I thought at first it was a jab (I do not know how you would find out so quick) about me attaching my video from the other week to a River Monsters video on Discovery's channel laugh Got to get some views some how grin Congrates dude!

Originally Posted By: LFC
Licenced veteran captains get 25%.

Congrates on getting that done dude! One of the things on my list to do some day besides riding along at the helm of a barge tug grin