• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Accord "Humming"

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out here. I've been experiencing some issues with my 02 Accord EX V6. First off it started out with a wobble when slowing/stopping as well as some "humming". I replaced the rotors and front brakes and the wobble stopped. I still have the humming coming from the front right tire and now it's louder than ever and only gets louder with increased speed. What should my next options to look for be? Bearings? HUB Assembly? CV Joint? Any input is welcome. TIA!

When its making the noise and in an area you can do this safely steer to the right and left fairly aggressively. If the noise changes pitch or goes away than it is fairly safe to say that a wheel bearing is going bad. Usually the one that the noise changes when you steer that direction. Steer to the right and it goes away its the right, steer to the left and it goes away its the left. Or if it gets louder steering to the left than its the right bearing, if it gets louder to the right than its the left bearing.

To confirm this you can sometimes jack up the front of the car and spin the wheels by hand while holding the spring. If you can feel the noise in the spring than thats the bad bearing. Also sometimes they will get sloppy so you can grab the tire at the 6 and 12 o'clock position and pull/push in and out. If you feel play than it is bad.

If the noise never really changes that the other possibilities are tires (they can make noises that are really simular to wheel bearing howling type noises especially it they are chopped or cupped), axle shafts, or worst case something internal in the trans.

I shouldve mentioned that the tires are brand new as well.

Here's what I've discovered so far. I tried the steering from left to right and there is no change in the sound whether it's quieter or louder. It is definitely from the right front. I dont have a jack here that I can lift it at the moment seeing as the one that comes in the car is pretty much junk so I will have to try that at home later, but I'm definitely thinking it's a bearing....well actually HOPING it is lol. I would hope it's not the tranny seeing as it was replaced in Nov of last year. Thanks airjer I'll give your input a shot when I return home later.

Anyone know a good place to get this done around the metro area? I live in Otsego and work in Maple Grove. None of my contacts are able to do this seeing as you need a certain press to get the bearings out and press them back in. TIA!

Wow, I had no idea you (Drezler) were a member you punk. I hear someone did quite well on the big pond last weekend and it wasnt you lol.

Airjer - Champlin would work great actually. I'm heading out of town this weekend but could drop it off next week sometime. You have any idea what the cost would run? Approx? Thanks

I think it would be a good idea to have them listen to the noise first. Ride along with the test drive if you like to make sure they hearing the noise you want them to hear (I couldn't tell you how many times I have gone on a test drive and heard several noises and had to ask the customer if its that one or that one or that one). Once the noise is isolated than they will work up an estimate from there.