• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chasineyes

Went camping for the first time with the family to Jay COoke. Great place but we woke up to 37 degrees yesterday morning!!

Suffice to say we came back early since that was not very enjoyable since our tent is a 3-season with lots of screen/mesh walls. Plus it was raining. Just to let you know were planning on doing it again over fathers day weekend, so plan on rain for your lawns!! wink

We camped at Lake Carlos May 14-18, it was 32 at 3 am. I got up and went into town and bought a sleeping bag. Winds were howling around 20-25 miles an hour all weekend but we stuck it out.

We were camping up at Echo lake and the wind was blowing probably 30 mph Sat. Wouldn't have been so bad, but we had the Granddaughters with and no way I am taking 5 and 8 year old little girls out fishing in that stuff. Saturday night the wife woke me and told me to turn the furnace, I know at least we had a furnace, but come on it's June right?

We were camping up at Echo lake and the wind was blowing probably 30 mph Sat. Wouldn't have been so bad, but we had the Granddaughters with and no way I am taking 5 and 8 year old little girls out fishing in that stuff. Saturday night the wife woke me and told me to turn the furnace, I know at least we had a furnace, but come on it's June right?

I think we discovered we all enjoy camping and what it can offer and am quite sure we will be investing in a pop-up next year!! Our vacation time is too valuable to lose to weather!

We were on the N. Shore as well in Tettegouche and had a bit of rain early Friday morning. After spending many cold miserable nights in cheap tents and cheaper sleeping bags, we finally invested in decent equipment and cooler nights are a bit more tolerable. And yes, the calendar does say June.

Yes, I too learned this past weekend that the cheaper sleeping bag I use should remain just for the warm camping trips. I am going to need an investment in a colder rated sleeping bag. I normally like the experience of being tucked in a sleeping bag while it is chilly out, but man, that was a cold one.

Is the water still rushing up the North Shore? I was up there in the Lutsen area a little over a month ago (rented a condo and did not sleep outside) and all of the rivers were magnificent with their rushing falls and water.

My two coldest camping trips have been this year already.

Mid may in Bayfield WI 25 degrees and wind too, Upnorth. Must have been the same day!

May 30 in Ely was 27 degrees. I too had a summer sleeping bag - big mistake but we were portaging and the forecast two days before said low 40s for lows. Sometimes I'm thankful to just wake up.

We did a late october trip up to Tettagouche State Park last year. 24F at night was pretty chilly.

Just got back from camping in Canada, 28F was our coldest morning.

It just make the campfire feel that much better wink

A couple years ago I camped by myself in a nylon "pup" tent in December, during the muzzle loader season. I had to put the water jug on the floor of the truck and start it so the ice would melt. Thermometer in the truck said -8F.

The next year I bought a canvas wall tent w/ wood stove smile

A couple years ago I camped by myself in a nylon "pup" tent in December, during the muzzle loader season. I had to put the water jug on the floor of the truck and start it so the ice would melt. Thermometer in the truck said -8F.

The next year I bought a canvas wall tent w/ wood stove smile

FG40

I'm planning on picking up a wall tent with stove for deer seasons this year. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at Davis Tent in CO for a 12x18 to sleep 3 of us.

I have a Davis 12x14, and we sleep 4 guys and the dog in there comfortably during fall duck hunting trips, with room for the kitchen/living area up in the front.

Nothing like the woodburner chugging away while the snotty weather rages around you.

The wall tent is definetly one of the best investments I ever made. I bought a 12x14 and it has plenty of room. Last year we had 7 of us sleeping in it for deer season. It was a little crowded because only two of us had cots and the rest were sleeping on air matresses but it worked.

Are people not checking the weather before they go? I know its June but you can't go by the calender.

I never go into the BWCA with less than a 30* bag. Even in late june we've had frosty mornings. It doesn't weigh any less cause its a quality down bag and I can always open it up if its warm out. There is no excuse to be cold unless you're wet, and even then you have dry clothes and raingear.