• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the best reel?

Personally I have had bad luck with my last 3 abu's The one didnt last 2 times out. Im not going to say they are bad reels but I no I was not happy with them when they told me tuff luck when I sent it to them. I no I wount be buying one anytime soon. I think every time you are about to buy something you have to look at all the options. You never know what you might miss.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

muskyhunter23,

I have a avid AC300A, I absolutely love it. I haven't used it a ton, maybe 2 dozen times, but it's performed flawlessly. It also handles big fish very, very well. I've used it sturgeon fishing and the drag is flawless.

Haha..... abu over shimano. *chuckles* man u nearly made me shat my pant @ work..... hahahaha

I had tried abu, shimano, diawa few time. I can say shimano and diawa are pretty good. Very smooth compare to abu 6500s series. When people say u can save money on abus but think about it how much money n time it would cost you sent it to repair shop n waitin and miss out fishing? I m not saying shimano or diawa will break but they are def worth the $$$$$$$.

You can't compare 6500C3s to Calcuttas, maybe the Cardiff or Corvalus - whichever the two are you can get for under $100. There are only a couple things that go wrong with the C3s and they are cheap, easy fixes if you are familiar with them. They are very comparable in smoothness once you take the factory grease out. I'm not saying I wouldn't want a top end Shimano but the Abus get the job done for a lot less money.

Speaking of reels, has anyone mentioned the Penn 975? They are a lot of reel for around $240.

To all you guys with your Abu's in moth balls.

You can get rid of thoughs cheap things by sending them to me. No, I mean it! You'll never use them again. I'll get them going and find them a home where they can make someone happy. There are a lot of river fisherman who only have to lob a Bullhead into there favorite Flathead hole and wait. Not the place for an Calcuttas.

Calcutta B no... TE yes. jmho. i have a Tekota 600LC for trolling muskies/pike/cats only. and (off subject) for trolling/drifting pannies in 40 to 50 feet and walleye trolling any depth i use a 300LC. quiet, smooth and imo if used right shimano's last. abuse and never service it? it'll be in the junk heap. so will a mercedes benz. wink

To all you guys with your Abu's in moth balls.

You can get rid of thoughs cheap things by sending them to me. No, I mean it! You'll never use them again. I'll get them going and find them a home where they can make someone happy. There are a lot of river fisherman who only have to lob a Bullhead into there favorite Flathead hole and wait. Not the place for an Calcuttas.

If only it were that easy... wink

There are a lot of river fisherman who only have to lob a Bullhead into there favorite Flathead hole and wait. Not the place for an Calcuttas.

I've struggled with the Flat's this year Muddog....but I agree with your comment. The Abu's are a dandy for catfishing. wink

Spend $380.00 on a Calcutta have it break down because of all the pieces in it

send it back to the repair shop wait a week and get your reel back!

Now, thats exactly what I want to do with that extra cash burning a Hole in my Back pocket! (smooth reels yes,worth the Price NO! )

ABU C3 $80.00 Bucks, beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of them and get 3 years out of it.

4 reels VS 1 reel

Shimano Corsair on the other hand is the Biggest piece of JUNK I have ever used!

My first good muskie reel I got off da bay used for $30, a Shimano Corsair in 2005. To this day I still use it, have never cleaned or lubed it and yet it keeps going. Untill this year it was my go to but the Toro took that place now the Corsair gets Dawg duty and ripping cranks. We have run about everything out there ( Abu's, Okumas, Shimanos, Pflugers, and Diawa ) The only ones we haven't went away from are the Okumas Indurons, Diawa Lunas and anything Shimano. The Toro may in time replace a few of these but only time will tell, so far it's been flawless and IMO the only muskie reel Abu makes. We'll see at seasons end if I still feel this way so IF you see me selling my Toro you'll know it didn't make the grade and the old Corsair will be back to #1 status.

AbuGarcia is the only brand i use and like and there not that bad on price and they stand behind there warranty one of the eight i own was acting up on me and i sent it in and they sent me a new one for 75% off the price of a new one. corsair are JUNK all mine are in the bottom of the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!

well if they're at the bottom of the lake it sounds more like a problem with how you fish rather than a problem with the reel.

The first reel I was reccomended was a daiwa luna 300. Great reel, little heavier in the hands than others, but it's put up with a lot. Iced it up a few times last year and it acted up. took it apart and put it back together and it runs just like new.

It all depends what kind of baits you throw as well..

If you throw Double 10's, Big Dawgs, Big Cranks...Well, good luck getting 3 years on a C3, I think you ( or your arm and wrist) will be lucky to make it one week.

Quote:
I am curious what you don't like about the 400b's. If you equip them with power handles it is a beast of a reel, I really doubt there is much difference compared to a TE

i jumped from abu straight to TE's. never owned a B but i did cast a friends some and it's not even close IMO with or without his power handle. the rod/reel bounced around unless i gripped and held it super tight, and it still had some annoying movement. my TE's have (offset oversized gears are to blame) no noticeable movement (outside lure action at the tip) and is a real treat as far as fatigue on a long week of power fishing bigger baits let alone just a day. that's my biggest reason for always telling people they are worth every dime to me. the more a rod bounces on retrieve the more fatigue it creates. with every birthday this get's more important. with other reels the bounce can be reduced ''some'' with a properly balanced rod to reel set-up. but that can be a pain figuring out without actually fishing it. buying combo's is fine but just like cars the design is sometimes on a computer and not field tested by the designer and something is always lost in the translation from tester to designer. usually it's balance in cheaper set-ups.

overall i just like comfort on a long day. i can put my 400 TE's on basicly any rod and not stress on the fatigue factor. my abu's i'd need to limit my selection and still get fatigued anyway. i fish everything but when i'm in that muskie mood it's muskie. if i fish a couple hours here or there i wouldn't care i guess? but i've never been that way so who knows. i just don't enjoy limits smile ... and i don't like power handles for several reasons, mainly comfort. but to each their own.

I went to Scheels last night to look for a new reel and they didnt have much to look at. Kinda bumbed because now I am going to have to order it with out seeing or feeling it. I know that alot of you guys really like the Daiwa Saltist, And I think that that is the reel that I want to order. Any sugustions on where to order it from? The one I am looking at would be a Saltist 30 LW

Do you live in Mn? If so, I highly recommend getting your hands on the reel before purchasing. I was originally looking at the 30LW but ended up opting for the 20LW because I palm and the 20 was a bit more comfortable to palm. Purchased mine at TB.

I do live in Mn but I really dont have time to get to a decent sporting good store that caries the reels I want to look at. I went to Scheels and Gander last night, In Fargo ND but they had nothing that I was interested in. I no what you mean its a risk to buy a reel with out holding it but As or right now I dont see any time to get to a place that might have them. I think I might gamble and order it. Hopefully I will like it

Don't get caught up in the hype. Some guys have to spend the most and buy the "best". Buy at a price point you are comfortable with and take care of your gear. Use an appropriate reel to the lure presentation/application.

I run the ABU 5600CB and 5601CB, few retailers carry them I believe. Bought mine at Cabela's for 75-80 bucks and they have been rock solid for 5-6 years now.

Thy are 6.3:1 ratio, so you have to use common sense, no big blade baits at warp speed or they will break.

I did add the power handle.

Mine do say "Made In Sweden" and are pre carbon matrix drags. Maybe that has something to do with my success.

I'll keep buying ABU's.

I would search around for the shimano curado 300 even though they have been closed out and replaced by the "E Series" I cant find a difference between the 2 in the specs though. The are both under 200 if you search on E Bay

Ryan

Calcutta TE 401's for lefties. Don't forget us lefties. Think the best way to go is something like this. Get two TE's for the heavy/hard pulling stuff. They are dreamy and very tough, not sure about others bad experiences but mine are great. Honestly, Abu's are also good if used properly. Put one on a rod for throwing some easy or slow cranking topwaters or smaller soft plastics or even smaller single blades and they work great. They are just not as good for big blades or Pounder type baits but will still serve useful purposes and can keep costs down to improve a beginners arsenal or can help a veteran increase theirs (as there is almost never enough money for all the stuff a muskie guy wants). I keep 4 rods rigged and out at a minumum most of the time, two are TE's, two are Abu's. I use all 4 equally lots of the times depending on what baits or techniques the conditions and fish are calling for.

That raises another good question. What is the best reel that offers a left-handed model in that same $150 range? I have always reeled casting reels with my left hand. A lot of the previously mentioned models do not offer a left-hand version.