Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooter

Sturgeon survey pic

9 posts in this topic

Just a pic from a DNR sturgeon survey I volunteered for last week below Wissota dam. We ended up with 37 that day. Got another pic or two on a differenct cam.

volunteerScottSchreiberChippewaFall.jpg

How did you survey these fish? Electro-shocking? Netting?

Also, how did you find out about this opportunity to volunteer for surveying?

We used gill nets. I know the local biologist through our chapter of Muskies Inc - several of our members volunteer for various DNR projects. I'm hoping to get in on a fall shocking survey.

Yeah, I'm a biology major and have a huge interest in the DNR. Too bad it is very competitive right out of school!! Not the best time right now to be job hunting either. If you ever need any more volunteers sometime, let me know!

I strongly considered going into the dnr when I got out of high school, but it's really tough to get a job unless you're REALLY a standout student. If you really are interested work your tail off, get the best grades possible, and you might have a chance. Doesn't hurt to have some connections, too!

They ended up with over 100 new fish for the week between there and the Jim Falls dam. Lots of recaptures from past years, past days, and even caught several fish twice in the same day. If they didn't have them already they got a floy tag, a metal tag(green and you can see one on the pic on the top fin by the tail), a pit tag, and if in good shape a pectoral fin sample for aging - that where the blood on the fish's throat area is from.