• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring LEDs to a Power Source

Fishin'_Fever

Hello everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading this board since I started ice fishing this past winter and now I'm hooked.

I recently bought a portable ice fishing shelter and would like to modify it. I would like to put LED strip lights in it, but I'm not 100% sure how to correctly connect the strips to the battery or power source. I thought I saw some tips on here, but now I can't find any in the past 10-20 pages of topics.

Would anyone have any information or be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks for the help, all of the great information, and getting me hooked on ice fishing this past winter.

King kong lights are ok but they only shine light in a centralized location and they wiggle and move if windy out.(they also normally have to run on AA batteries and i hate buying those things.

I have a few sets of LED ligths from FF and Gander mountian. I ZIP tied them right to my poles in frabil. Works great. I paid 13.99 five years ago on sale. Gander had them laster for 13.99. I have 2 sets one for the front and one directly over me. They come with clips red and black. I use an extra Vex battery for these lights! Fish for several hours and will not kill that bat.

Hope this works..

These forums are alsways prettie high on king krong lights but i just don't like mine. Just make sure the rope light is LED. Non Led will not light as well and take more amps to run thus draining your batt faster.

I just ran speaker wire through my poles and connected to the lighting.

I used speaker wire as well, but I ran it on the outside. 2 seasons so far and still works great.

King kong lights are ok but they only shine light in a centralized location and they wiggle and move if windy out.(they also normally have to run on AA batteries and i hate buying those things.

I have a few sets of LED ligths from FF and Gander mountian. I ZIP tied them right to my poles in frabil. Works great. I paid 13.99 five years ago on sale. Gander had them laster for 13.99. I have 2 sets one for the front and one directly over me. They come with clips red and black. I use an extra Vex battery for these lights! Fish for several hours and will not kill that bat.

Hope this works..

These forums are alsways prettie high on king kong lights but i just don't like mine. Just make sure the rope light is LED. Non Led will not light as well and take more amps to run thus draining your batt faster.

Who says you have to hook them up to a set of AA's??

I have mine hooked up to a vex battery, and have had no problems! laugh

I have one strip in my potable, and have more than enough light. The light shines all over the house too.

I have one strip in my potable, and have more than enough light. The light shines all over the house too.

I've actually got three strips in my portable - a 48, 60 and a 16, or something along those lines... and it's more than bright. I'm happy with the lights though.

That said though, unfortunately the Best king Kong lights are somewhat buyer beware - several people have had issues with the lights arriving cracked or broken, and getting an exchange or refund has been nearly impossible.

Thankfully mine came just fine, so I'm happy smile

marine_man

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Are there 12V rope lights that can be wired to a 12V inverter? Or do I have to plug the rope lights into the inverter? Thanks for any help.

I built a box in the sled of the portable last weekend and did a dry run with all my equipment (LX-5, poles, auger, bucket, and tackle box), and it all fits nicely. Just need to wire the lights, fasten the seats to the top of the box, and wait for sub freezing temps.