• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CSI Minnesota: Here's a brain twister

BassProAddict

I figured out why I was having a problem with the backlashes. Yesterday I took a closer look at the reel and my line. I noticed that I had a lot more line around the right side of the spool. I don't know how or why that happened. I stripped the line off and reeled it back in problem solved.

Muddog 40lb test braid has about 10lb mono dia anything lighter than 30lb sucks for casting on a baitcaster IMO. Muddog you use 14lb braid on your baitcasters WOW, thats got to be like 2 lb mono dia, you don't have problems with wind knots or the line digging in on itself?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Muddog you use 14lb braid on your baitcasters WOW, thats got to be like 2 lb mono dia, you don't have problems with wind knots or the line digging in on itself?

No. Should I? I don't see how this would happen (line digging in on itself) with line that is all the same dia. Now if I had a larger line Dia just under the line I'm casting I could see it happening but that would stand true with 40lb line also.

So if you think 14lb test would dig in on a narrow Bass Baitcaster do you think 40lb test would dig in on 6500 or 7500 wide spool round bait caster?

Put a little tention on your line when you spool up and don't over fill your baitcaster with line!

I figured out why I was having a problem with the backlashes. Yesterday I took a closer look at the reel and my line. I noticed that I had a lot more line around the right side of the spool. I don't know how or why that happened. I stripped the line off and reeled it back in problem solved.

gunning - your pawl and worm gear may have crud in them, or they may be going out on your altogether. Pretty common problem and a pretty easy fix. Dead giveaway to the problem is the level wind will catch briefly on one side of the spool or the other sometimes and pile line up on the edge of the spool. I keep spares for my muskie reels in the boat - I can change one in about 3 minutes smile

Hiya -

Line that stays round is a big deal on baitcasting gear. I love Fireline on spinning gear but it's hateful stuff on baitcasting gear unless you're not doing anything with it but pulling cranks for walleyes. I know lots of guys like Power Pro but I can't stand the stuff for the same reason. Guys seem to like Sufix braid, but I've never tried it. Cortland Master Braid is outstanding, and Stren Superbraid was awesome too - until they quit making it. I use 20 Master Braid casting cranks late in the summer and it works great on casting gear...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Odd thing about my baitcaster is that it the line "jams" frequently on casts. Is this what you call digging onto itself?

The spool would stop without a bird's nest but you can easily let line out by turning the spool manually. What the heck is that all about?

Odd thing about my baitcaster is that it the line "jams" frequently on casts. Is this what you call digging onto itself?

The spool would stop without a bird's nest but you can easily let line out by turning the spool manually. What the heck is that all about?

Yup, thats exactly what digging in is.

So I heed everybody's advice and go with higher test poundage and bought myself 30lb Sufix Performance Braid.It was day for my new spool and things started out well with my Carolina.It felt smooth and I said to myself "Why didn't I realize this before?".

Day goes on and a couple of backlashes here and there...mostly due to cast control being a bit too loose.I backlash some more then the "digging into itself" was happening again...and before I knew it...snap! My C-rig comes flying off from 30lb BRAND-FRICKIN'-NEW Sufix performance braid!

Nore break point the same as ALWAYS: about half an inch after the weight stopper. I'm still convinced the stopper causes the line breakage by making the tungsten weight "saw through" the line more frequently.

Grrr!!! This is really frustrating!

It could be your tungsten sinkers cutting the line. Some of the older tungsten sinkers were great at cutting line. Do they have plastic inserts for the line to pass through? I would try another brand of tungsten or even lead for a while to see if that is the problem.

That's it, I've had it.I'm going back to spinning gear on Carolina.Man, that used to be my go to technique.Guys would get skunked around me while I hit the big ones.

I had to go and act all pro-ey and use baitcasters on C-rigs.

Now does a Stradic 2500 on an 6-9" Carrot stix with 25lb braid on the main line sound good?

My worm'in rigg is a 7' loomis with a generic 6500c3 and I run the same light line because it cuts through the weeds so well and still holds up and I've never had a problem with the reel or worm gear or snapping line but I do like lead bullets but tungsten clackers

I have one rod/reel with braid on it...it's a light musky/ heavy bass swimbait combo. I pretty much use Yo-zuri copoly exclusively on my reel, and really have had no issues at all whether it be 4-8 lb on spinning reels or up to 20 lb on baitcasters.

Quote:
So I heed everybody's advice and go with higher test poundage and bought myself 30lb Sufix Performance Braid.It was day for my new spool and things started out well with my Carolina.It felt smooth and I said to myself "Why didn't I realize this before?".

Day goes on and a couple of backlashes here and there...mostly due to cast control being a bit too loose.I backlash some more then the "digging into itself" was happening again...and before I knew it...snap! My C-rig comes flying off from 30lb BRAND-FRICKIN'-NEW Sufix performance braid!

Nore break point the same as ALWAYS: about half an inch after the weight stopper. I'm still convinced the stopper causes the line breakage by making the tungsten weight "saw through" the line more frequently.

Grrr!!! This is really frustrating!

How often do you retie?

This digging in thing has got be confused. confused I have seen the line overrun and bury itself and if this happens in the middle of a cast it can and will snap your line. As for small dia, line just remember, When you cast with a larger Dia, line the Dia, of the spool on your reel decreases more then it does with a cast of the same distance with a small Dia, line. To say it another way the spool will make more revelations per cast with a large Dia, line and that = more breaking.

If you have the problem of "over run/digging in" try your C-Rig on a differant rod with the same reel until you find a combination that works for you and remember retie often!

I have tried a lot of difft braids and they all have thier advantages in certain situations. They all also have their shortcomings most notably for me is the line breaks oddly such as in your situation.

Prior to trying all the braids I used Trilene XT and really had no issues. Since my frustration with braids I have gone back to Trilene XT and have had no issues since.