• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it to late for a food plot for bow opener?

Work has been nuts so many things that i want to get done are not and of coarse the food plot being one!!! IS it to late and if not, what in terms of planting should I try? This will be my first food plot. Thanks

Its not at all to late depending on what you plant. I dont start thinking about putting my fall plots in until mid July or into August. As far as what to plant depends on how big your plot is. If you are planning on a relatively small plot you cant beat a brassica mix planted around the end of july. Once you get a good frost it turns the plant sweet and deer will usually hammer it. I say usually because I have heard of people that cant get deer to eat brassica in their area but I have personally never had that problem so its my favorite fall plot.

Another way you could go it some types of grain like oats, winter wheat, or rye grain and then mix some types of peas or beans in with them. You plant this mixture a little later though because the deer will eat the peas like candy as soon as they start to grow and will have them wiped out in no time. If your plot is very small though they could get wiped out before you even get to hunt. There are hundreds of different things you can put in for a fall plot Im sure you will have some more guys chime in with ideas.

Short ans.... NO!!!

Long answere... NO!!!

Most plots that are started now are in for nutrition and as a holding power. Providing protien for growing antlers as well as does milk, and growing fawns.

I have had success doing plots in mid to late August to be freash, green, and tender for late september/october bowhunts. (clover mostly) Those plots are smaller "kill" plots. A small plot mabe 1/2 to 3/4 acre, just something to attract deer and offer an additional food sorce while everything else is turning brown.

like mentioned earlier, plots planted later in the year are typically the best for providing young tender greens when everything else is browning up. but, being born and raised on a farm, and as every farmer knows, anything you plant the earlier, the better! brassicas like rape, and turnip, are great for smaller food plots, because they grow big bushy leaves full of protein! which is very essential throughout the summer, as the velvet on a deers antlers consists of 80% protein!

everyone should know, that by planting perennials such as clover, not to expect a bountiful crop the first year. clover grows slower than about anything you can plant. deer love it, but next year and the year after the clover stand will be excellent. perennials spend more time establishing a root system their first year in the soil.

if planting a small plot, 1/2 acre or less, and are in drought conditions, like most of us throughout the state until the last few days, you can't beat chicory. it does take a few weeks to see it coming up, but it grows fast. has a long taproot, similar to a dandelion, so it does well in dry soils. an acre of chicory will grow 50-75 pounds of foliage a day under normal grazing. it is also a perennial, so you can expect to see it last 3-5 years or better.