• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your big fish lure

slopmaster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if live bait is acceptable, definately a freelined shiner, no competition. i caught 6 fish above 5lbs, 1 over six, and 11 over 4 with that technique last year.

if live bait is not acceptable, then i would have to seperate it into categories lol

topwaters- lucky craft live sammys or the Jimmy houstons zara spook.

jerkbaits- xraps or zulus

swimbaits- shadalicious or any castaic (non trout colored), or strike king swimbait

crankbaits, lucky craft live pointer

jigs- defiantely black and blue, though i have had quite a bit of success with white, and with craw

i usually tip a jig with either a 3-4" grub, or creature baits. brush hogs work pretty well when fished on a jig with a long shank

i recently started fishing with roboworms, and they are quickly becoming one of my favorite baits. i have had alot of luck fishing them on a drop shot

if i go by seasons

spring- wacky rigged or malibu rigged senko, or xrap (shad or original), jigs, jerkbaits

summer- freelined shiner, zara spooks, lucky craft live sammys and live pointers,swimbaits

fall- xraps, live pointers, jigs

winter- shiners under a loosely set tip up, i like the windlass. using a windlass and a castaic swimbait, or storm swimbaits

A 2 oz white spinner bait, or jointed tail X-raps both work very well.

2oz!? is that a typo? did you mean 1/2 oz?

2oz seems way to big. the biggest i would fish is 3/4oz. but white is a great color, as well as chartruse and white. black has been good to me too

Originally Posted By: BuckKiller
A 2 oz white spinner bait, or jointed tail X-raps both work very well.

2oz!? is that a typo? did you mean 1/2 oz?

2oz seems way to big. the biggest i would fish is 3/4oz. but white is a great color, as well as chartruse and white. black has been good to me too

nope not a typo I ment 2 oz (I exagerated a bit, the one I use is 1 3/4 oz. Probably two oz with the twister tail I add) alot of people consider that a musky bait but I do very well with bass as well (on waconia). They work better if you add a 5 inch twister tail for color.

Keeps the small ones off the lines. smile

P.S if your gonna use a spinner that large make sure you have a rod that can support it.

i recently started fishing with roboworms, and they are quickly becoming one of my favorite baits. i have had alot of luck fishing them on a drop shot

Excellent drop shot worm, color- aaron's magic

nope not a typo I ment 2 oz (I exagerated a bit, the one I use is 1 3/4 oz. Probably two oz with the twister tail I add) alot of people consider that a musky bait but I do very well with bass as well (on waconia). They work better if you add a 5 inch twister tail for color.

Keeps the small ones off the lines. smile

P.S if your gonna use a spinner that large make sure you have a rod that can support it.

that makes sense ive caught a few pigs while using bull dawgs and uptown dawgs

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

Excellent drop shot worm, color- aaron's magic

yeah it is! aarons magic is definately their best color. i have like 6 bags just of that color. lol (3 of each length our bait shop had)

yeah it is! aarons magic is definately their best color. i have like 6 bags just of that color. lol (3 of each length our bait shop had)

If you like fishing DS in clear water give the Morning Dawn color a try, I have had some killer days on that color

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

If you like fishing DS in clear water give the Morning Dawn color a try, I have had some killer days on that color

thanks!

My PB came on a white Red Eye Shad. Can't really say I have a big fish lure. I've caught big fish on just about everything I've tried except topwater baits. I guess if you want to keep smaller fish off, I catch few small fish on a spinnerbait.

Usually whatever I'm throwing for muskies! Otherwise have gotten 5 largemouth over 20" - two on 7" powerworms, one on a husky jerk, one on a chugbug, and one on a live frog.

I second that. I have caught a huge smallie on a Rad Dog and a huge largie on a giant Jitterbug throwing for muskies. Both around 20". If you want big bass, sometimes it pays to use big lures.

My PB came on a white Red Eye Shad. Can't really say I have a big fish lure. I've caught big fish on just about everything I've tried except topwater baits. I guess if you want to keep smaller fish off, I catch few small fish on a spinnerbait.

topwaters are my best big bass producers! whether they are sammy's, live sammies, or spooks, or poppers. most of the hogs i catch on artificial lures come off topwaters

The early bite was fun! The Bass in the photo hit my first cast. Last year I caught a fish at that spot as I was leaving the lake, so I went to that waypoint and made a cast (Boy am I glad I had that waypoint in the fog). The Bass were chasing bait fish near the surface and we would cast to the swirls on the surface (Just like fishing for White Bass). After the fog cleared the bite stoped and all we could fine was a massive school of bait fish. The action was fast but short lived.

The spot was a 10' deep shelf on a steap drop off to the deepest part of the lake (classic). The bait fish were chased out over 12-25fow.