• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your big fish lure

slopmaster

Hey everyone,

As i was paging through a bass pro shop magazine this afternoon i got to wondering what everyone considers to be their "go to" big bass lure? If you dont have one specific lure, what is the one lure that you have used to sucesfully catch larger bass. Also if wanted you could tell what lure you used to land your largest bass to date. Now everyone has their own opinions of what it takes to qualify as a big bass. I personally think anything over 20 in MN is big. But, for this questions lets say 18+ inches. Maybe not a huge bass but very respectable non the less. if you're going out fishing to catch a quality sized bass for that particular day what lure would you be on the end of your line?

I personally would have to say a jig with a craw style trailer. I started using these last year after finally taking a day to build my confidence and try them out. Since then i havent looked back and it has landed me some dandies including my 20.5 personal best.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking back the majority of my bass 20" plus over the past several years have came on plastic frogs or from Deep Cranking and that includes my PB at 6lbs 4oz. I would probably go to one of these lures and pick which ever one matched the conditions better.

Is that a net?... thats cheatin grin j/k of course, I always get flack from everyone for never having one. My PB came from a spinnerbait I call the burner, White with a single white willow.... so i tend to agree with the white spinnerbait!!

My two biggest fish have come off a jig with a craw trailer and a brush hog both fish were 22". I would say overall the brush hog is more of a big fish bait. If I get into some active fish and want to keep the smaller fish off I will throw a brush hog.

Many 21+inchers on a 5" gulp natural color worm with a large mustad hook. I usually place a bullet weight in front of the worm to get it on the bottom...then just twitch your rod tip and slowly crawl the worm. Big bass Love em!!

Rarely ever catch anything with size off of spinnerbaits, but odly enough i did get my PB of 23" LG on a white spinnerbait last summer~! Unfortuatley no scale but must be between 6 & 7 lbs.

Mine use to be spinnerbaits, which are still a very close second, but I'd have to say my new favorite is creature baits on a weedline. My top 3 pbs all did come on a white and chartruse spinnerbait, but I've probably caught more in the 20" range off creatures.

Hiya -

LMB: Bluegill DT-16 or Texas Rigged Jungle Hog in either Okeechobee Craw or Bama Bug

SMB: 5" Kalin's Grub on a ball head jig or a Persuader Curly Tail on a Northland Mimic Minnow jighead.

Tough for me to say, depends on the season: Spring - weightless senko, Summer - texas rigged plastics/3/8oz jig and craw, and Fall - DT10/hair jig and craw. I do a lot of fishing on some very different lakes, so it would be different on each of them. Overall, it would be a jig and craw.