Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slopmaster

your big fish lure

51 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

As i was paging through a bass pro shop magazine this afternoon i got to wondering what everyone considers to be their "go to" big bass lure? If you dont have one specific lure, what is the one lure that you have used to sucesfully catch larger bass. Also if wanted you could tell what lure you used to land your largest bass to date. Now everyone has their own opinions of what it takes to qualify as a big bass. I personally think anything over 20 in MN is big. But, for this questions lets say 18+ inches. Maybe not a huge bass but very respectable non the less. if you're going out fishing to catch a quality sized bass for that particular day what lure would you be on the end of your line?

I personally would have to say a jig with a craw style trailer. I started using these last year after finally taking a day to build my confidence and try them out. Since then i havent looked back and it has landed me some dandies including my 20.5 personal best.

Thinking back the majority of my bass 20" plus over the past several years have came on plastic frogs or from Deep Cranking and that includes my PB at 6lbs 4oz. I would probably go to one of these lures and pick which ever one matched the conditions better.

Is that a net?... thats cheatin grin j/k of course, I always get flack from everyone for never having one. My PB came from a spinnerbait I call the burner, White with a single white willow.... so i tend to agree with the white spinnerbait!!

My two biggest fish have come off a jig with a craw trailer and a brush hog both fish were 22". I would say overall the brush hog is more of a big fish bait. If I get into some active fish and want to keep the smaller fish off I will throw a brush hog.

if targeting just bigger bass ill throw a swimbait i have a couple different ones i like to use but i don't use the hollow body ones much at all

A Jig n Plastic is my favorite.

Dual bladed (side by side) buzzbait for me hands down.

I would say either deep cranking or frogs for my big fish hunting. But i got my personel best this weekend it was a little over 7 pounds and it came on a tube so maybe i need to rethink my stratagy now.

Many 21+inchers on a 5" gulp natural color worm with a large mustad hook. I usually place a bullet weight in front of the worm to get it on the bottom...then just twitch your rod tip and slowly crawl the worm. Big bass Love em!!

Rarely ever catch anything with size off of spinnerbaits, but odly enough i did get my PB of 23" LG on a white spinnerbait last summer~! Unfortuatley no scale but must be between 6 & 7 lbs.

Mine use to be spinnerbaits, which are still a very close second, but I'd have to say my new favorite is creature baits on a weedline. My top 3 pbs all did come on a white and chartruse spinnerbait, but I've probably caught more in the 20" range off creatures.

Senko, wait crankbait, wait, topwater frog. I can't name just one.

I am a big fan of big black spinnerbait with orange willow blades.

Spring and Fall - 1/4 or 3/8oz black/blue all terrain or grassmaster jig with a 4in gene larew salt craw.

Summer - Zoom Brush Hawg texas rigged, or a Strike King Double Buzz.

A 2 oz white spinner bait, or jointed tail X-raps both work very well.

Jig and chunk style trailer for me. I also like swimbaits and brush hogs for targeting big fish.

Hiya -

LMB: Bluegill DT-16 or Texas Rigged Jungle Hog in either Okeechobee Craw or Bama Bug

SMB: 5" Kalin's Grub on a ball head jig or a Persuader Curly Tail on a Northland Mimic Minnow jighead.

My records show my 5's have come from almost everything mentioned already.

My 6's (10 to date) have all been on big texas rigged plastics (lizards mostly) or jig and pig.

That's all I got. wink

Black & Blue jig w/ either #11 black pork or a Berkly black & blue power craw for a trailer.

Tough for me to say, depends on the season: Spring - weightless senko, Summer - texas rigged plastics/3/8oz jig and craw, and Fall - DT10/hair jig and craw. I do a lot of fishing on some very different lakes, so it would be different on each of them. Overall, it would be a jig and craw.

Hard for me to say. Instantly I think Jig/Pig.. But I looked back on my records, and in the last 5 years, my big fish came on either a Carolina rig or Drop Shot.

Sebile magic swimmer, 5.5" shadalicious, and or white buzzbait.