• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tuning Rapala Cranks

I have a couple of Rapala's, one original size 13 and a Husky Jerk size 12.

The original has never worked, it flips over/darts when trolled and pulls sideways when casted.

The HJ does the same thing. It did work great then one time it quit working properly.

I have tried adjusting the metal "nose" to each side, tried with and without swivel/snaps, different knots, etc to no avail.

Should I try heating up the plastic lip and moving it? Or are these lures junk?

Steve

Lips are secure (the one is still brand new, but was bought some time ago so returning isn't an option). Hook hangars are straight.

When I look straight at the original minnow I can see the lip is not mounted perfectly straight. Was this done by accident or perhaps this is a bad piece of balsa and it was put on crooked to counteract an offset in the wood? I thought these were all tested before being packaged for sale?

I'll send Rapala CS an email and see if I get a response.

Steve

I looked high and low on the Rapala HSOforum and only found one email contact address for general site questions and no actual customer service email (or even an address to write them). Am going to email that address and if no answer I will try other methods to get ahold of them. I would suspect they will help me out for sure, at least on the new one. Of the 150 or so Rapala's I own, I think I have only had 3 or so that haven't worked.

One is a balsa "original minnow" (which has never been used) and one is a plastic husky jerk (seen only "light duty").

I can see them blaming the HJ fault on catching fish (although it only has caught a couple of Coho's and smaller lakers) but visually I can't see anything wrong with it.

I'll keep everyone posted on how their CS reacts to this. I know I have one other balsa rap that doesn't run true somewhere, now I just need to find it.

Steve

I can't post the link, but Rapala does have a web-form you can submit under the Warranty/Returns header on the older HSOforum - you get to this page by clicking the support link near the bottom left of the home page.