Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rippinlips10

Coon Lake near east bethel minnesota

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys was out on coon today with no success. Tried everyting in the book to catch bass and nothin worked. All I see is shallow weeds and flat bottom drop offs. What should I do to catch the big ones. Now i know this cold front put them away but I only got one over 12". I flipped milfoil, tried the drop offs and the docks nothin. If any of you have any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Northwest bay... full of weeds and lilypads... big ones in there if you can go in there... that area never failed me or my brother when it came to the bass... Good luck!!!

There are a LOT of spots to hit on this lake. Our biggest this year has came outta a really shallow "bay". Casting right up to shore or up tight to the docks. We normally throw em spinners, but mix it up with diff style rapalas too. There are a few bays on this lake that you can catch a few hogs. I haven't really found just one great spot that always produces. The bay we live in normally holds a few nice bass.

Rippinlips,

I was out there yesterday as well and stunk up the place pretty good going to traditional spots. I was out 3 hours and caught 3 fish.

Don't beat yourself up. It was a tough day. I thought about trying a few more things before I left but my hands starting going numb and I wasn't having fun anymore.

yeah we were cruising around tring to do anything possible I think the reeds might hold some fish right now right?

The water is pretty skinny in the reeds right now but I didn't hit them hard enough to say yay or nay.

Of the fish I caught, they were out in 2-3 feet in the clumpy weeds. Two on spinner bait while searching and 1 on a light carolina rig. That one was the best of the 3 but only about 2 1/2 pounds.

I saw one small bass (10-11 inches) in the way shallow water by the sunnies.

That is also something I want to try out on coon. I haven't tried a carolina or texas rig out there yet. Have any of you been getting a few pike mixed in there also? We have had a few break offs, a couple being pretty large.

I tried some for pike but didn't see anything beside a tiny hammer handle.

Last year I was throwing a big topwater over the outside weedline and a huge pike came up from the side for it. I had a great look at it but it was out there about 30 yards and I couldn't stop it from plowing into the weeds and coming off.

Man, it left me shaking.

That's why I love a big pike bite! Anyone been out lately(when it hasn't been raining)? Been working a lot and haven't had any time to get on the lake.

Was out to coon yesterday with minimal success. The normally good shallow areas are getting super shallow right now. Does anyone fish this lake's deep water structure? Any particular technics working well?

Does anyone fish this lake's deep water structure? Any particular technics working well?

Yep. Great deep lake. Cranks, carolina rigs, drop shot, jigs. It never really seems to get going good until about mid July, but there are some very solid fish out there if you can get bit.

I've been out there a few times the past 2 weeks. Not a lot of fish caught but everything has been NICE!!! Nothing less than 3lbs! There are some hawgs in there!!!!!