• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Growing cactus

Steve Bakken

Just got back from a 10 day trip visiting friends in Arizona and brought back some really cool cactus cuttings. The locals say thay you can just break off a segment and put it in dirt and it will set it's own set of new roots. I've only got one shot at this, cuz it's not like I can go back down and get more if I kill them. Anyone have any experience with this? Also any advice on the type of dirt and watering frequencies would be great.

My mother stole cactus from Texas in 1982. There was a sign a mile down the road later warning about picking the native flora, lol. I calld her and asked for some advice. They grew for many yrs but never attained the beauty they had naturally. Too high humidity. She is a master gardener and she told me you might be able to get cactus type dirt at a garden store. She also said you should google an extension office in the SW for real good advice. Good Luck.

Yah, yah, I know. Lock me up and throw away the key. I did find some actual cactus potting soil at the local greenhouse. I mixed that with the native dirt that I brought back with the cacti, (probably another offense there, too). Now I've just gotta get the lighting and moisture all figured out.