• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low water/sandbars?

magicstix

We're going to head out to the Criox next week and was wondering where the shallow or areas to avoid are? Someone commented a while back about prop boats not getting thru is why I'm asking. I have a 18' Tyee. Do a lot of people run jet drive boats for catfishing?

Another ?. Do Most folks use 2 anchors[1 out front/1 out back] and what size should sufficent to old that big boat in the current?

Running a boat that size you will want to stay south of the high bridge,I would launch at the boomsite launch.

You could get In at a couple of the landings above the bridge but you will be very limited as to how far you can travel. you could fish the Franconia area once the boat was off the trailer(you will be up to your doors getting the boat off. Very shallow at the launch)

most that fish the upper part of the croix run smaller rig's or have years of experience and know the characteristics of the sand bars.

This time of year really thins out the bigger boats with such shallow water.

Good luck

As far as anchors, if you can get some richtors they will hold the best. I have 2 in the boat and next year I will have 3 for the faster current. If I anchor with the current, I will have one in front and one in back. If I can anchor sideways in some spots with little current, I will put them out the same side.

I use 200' of rope on each one and also add a 3' lenght of chain to the anchor and then tie the rope to the chain. It helps hoild the anchor in its spot. The reason I use that much rope is I can let the anchors where I want and then let rope out to the spot where I want to fish and it seems to hold better.

I also have a couple clamps in the boat with rope for tieing to brush.

We're going to head out to the Criox next week and was wondering where the shallow or areas to avoid are? Someone commented a while back about prop boats not getting thru is why I'm asking. I have a 18' Tyee.

What areas were you planning on fishing?

Thanks for suggestions. With all the low water everywhere that was my concern that I'd have to be careful, I already beached her once last year on a bar at the inlaws cabin and I know the water isn't any higher up there this spring.

Steve I was thinking the Kinnicinnic down to the mouth of the Miss., leaning more towards the Kinn. area. I see that north of the croix bluffs or by afton might be potenial spots also. What would you suggest? Thanks

You won't have any problems with that boat from Stillwater south all the way to the Mississippi. That stretch of water is Big Boat Country and you will have the company of cruisers, houseboats, Excursion Boats, Sailboats, just about every category of boat. Upstream of stillwater is where the skinny water starts and the low water really is a concern.

When you are on the big water south of Stillwater the main channel in the neckdown areas are all marked. Stay between the Red & Green Bouys and channel markers and you will have no problems.

It is tough water to find cats in though. Good Luck!!

Maybe I'll to regroup and sit down and look at the map again. WE had picked those areas cause we thought timber might plie up there. I'm not really into looking at cruisers.

Yes - you best regroup because your map recon has lead you astray. If you are looking for traditional flathead fishing water with logjams, current runs, and a series of riffle, hole, runs then you are headed to the wrong place. You obviously have never been on the St Croix. From Stillwater down to Prescott you aren't going to find what you would consider typical flathead water. It is not like the Mississippi or Minnesota Rivers with lots of current and timber piles at every turn. That stretch of water is like a long, wide lake except for a few neckdown points (Stillwater, Hudson, Afton, Kinni). You will find very little to no current at this water level except in the neck down areas. That stretch of water is big boat country and on a weekend it is an endless flotilla of big cruisers, houseboats, cigarette boats going 70mph, jet skis, etc. etc. By 10:00pm you best take your sea sick pills because you will be rock and rolling.

That is not to say there are no flatheads there. Every year 50 lb plus flatheads come out of this stretch of river. It is just that most are caught by walleye fishermen dragging bait for eyes. A lot of us have fished that water for years and it is tough to break the code for catching flatheads. We have had success catching channel cats and an occasional flathead drifting cut bait. We have had some success anchored up in the neckdown areas fishing the head of the holes and the deep water in and around the holes. But it is a whole different kind of flatheading than what most flat chasers do.