• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tight steering

foulpole18

Question

My buddies boat the steering is super tight and hard to turn. Was wondering how hard it is to fix or replace the cable from the steering wheel to the motor? Or if there is anything else a guy could try to fix it.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

That all depends on the boat and motor.

I did the cables on my Ranger once. The hardest part was getting them pulled through the boat. Other than that the terminations on the ends aren't tough. Hopefully you don't need to thread them much.

It can be done with some patience. Just don't do it within earshot of women and children. winkgrin

I have done that myself. Like they said snaking the cable out and in was the toughest. It depends on what other cables/wires it is bundled with and what it goes through. On mine I had to take it out and then get part numbers and measure it so I could get a replacement. I ended up ordering one online. You could be out of action for a little while.

The biggest hassle with replacing steering cables is how much room you have right next to the rh side of the motor. If you have a deep splashwell that's just wide enough for the motor you won't have the space you'll need to remove the old cable or install the new one without removing the motor.

If you've got ample space to the RH side of the motor it's more of a hassle / headache than it is hard.

marine_man