• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Correct prop for a 115 yamaha on a Lund SS Angler

Shwangman

Question

I purchase a 1700 SS Angler last year with a 115 Yamaha. People were asking how fast does she go and speed is not a big deal to me but people kept saying, you should be doing mid 40's and whatever so I got to thinking, my boat, top end with me in it, 32-33 so I looked at the prop, of coarse I have no idea, right or wrong and its a 12-5/8 x 21-K. Can anyone tell me what they are running or if this is correct? Also, my kids (I think) are planing a early Christmas present in the form of a Stain Steel prop and I'm not sure what the return policy is or what they should be telling the store they go to? Amy thoughts or comments would be great or what everyone is running, I know if you put the wrong prop on , its could be trouble. Thanks allot. Ken

11 answers to this question

I have the same boat excepts a 115 Johnson and get into the low 40s no problem. I freind has the same setup with a Stain Steel prop and his will do 3 - 4 more mph with it. 32 - 33 seems slow. Have you tested it with another boat maybe it is the MPH gauge and not the boat? It will be a few weeks until I get up to the cabin but the prop is watever it came with.

I looked at the RPM gauge but can't remember what it read. I will be going back up to the lake on the 19th, I will take a reading then. For sure the MPH gauge does not work and half the time, I wonder if any of them work!! Thanks guys, I will report on the RPM towards the end of June when I get back.

I have a 17" Lund Explorer and a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and get 41 mph with 2 guys, gear and a full tank and 43-45 with 1 guy.

Im running a 3 blade Turbo stainless prop thats 13 x 17 and its great hole shot and speed. I ran a 13 x 19 and it gave me a bit more speed but I didnt like the hole shot.

I think the prop you have is too much for that set up. I would drop to a 13 x 19 if you want speed but if ya want hole shot and just a tad less speed go 13 x 17. Different brand props will also behave different.

Call Jay Soderbloom and tel him ya want the "Northlander" special for your prop. www.soderbloom.com 218-644-3392.

Jay is a long time FM sponsor and really knows his props.

Shwangman,

I have the same boat and motor you have. You are definately over propped with the 21 pitch. Mine came with a 19P aluminum which ran in the proper rpm range. Your max rpm range is 5000 to 6000 rpm at WOT and trimmed out. The closer to 6000 rpm the better.

I wanted a stainless prop for the same reasons most people do. Better hole-shot, less blow-out on turns, better bow lift.

I went with a 17P "Ballistic" Prop.(Michigan Wheel) As stainless props go they are reasonably priced. Other posters are correct, prop performance will vary with the manufacturer. But if you are looking to go stainless, you should generally be looking for a 17P prop. Yamaha has a Pro Series stainless 19P which will work well too. It is very expensive. They also market a black stainless prop which is less expensive but if you select that, you will need it in a 17P. So you can see how prop performance can very even within the same manufacturer.

It has been said that to get the most benefit of the IPS hull you need a stainless propeller.

I'm getting 42-43 mph at WOT and trimmed out. Rpm's are 5800 to 5900. That's with 3/4 tank of gas, two people and gear and three batteries.

The difference in all around performance from the stock 19P aluminum is really amazing.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

Not to hijack the thread but i have a similar set up

I have a 2003 Angler SS with a Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke with a turning point aluminium prop 13.75 x 15

At the max WOT trimmed out (5500 rpm) i can get a speed of 33 with a full tank and 3 guys alone 36 mph. It has a slow hole shot and blow out on turns.

Would a SS prop and or differnt pitch give help me out?

Not to hijack the thread but i have a similar set up

I have a 2003 Angler SS with a Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke with a turning point aluminium prop 13.75 x 15

At the max WOT trimmed out (5500 rpm) i can get a speed of 33 with a full tank and 3 guys alone 36 mph. It has a slow hole shot and blow out on turns.

Would a SS prop and or differnt pitch give help me out?

I am no expert on props. I don't know what your max rpms should be for the 90 hp 2-stroke but the closer to the max is better for overall performance. I can say that you will definatly notice improvement on hole-shot and blow out with the correct pitch stainless prop. Normally when going from an aluminum to stainless you will have to drop pitch to achieve your max rpms. This is due to the cupping and lack of flex in the SS prop blades. (among other things... I'm no expert) The 90 may be a little small for that hull but should still move you out OK. I think the Angler is rated to 135 hp.

You have a nice boat! I really like my Angler.

Good luck.

Dave

Shwangman and others with prop questions, I have to echo Northlander, Give Jay Soderbloom a call,explain what you have and what you expect it to do. Jay's a wizard with props and he should be able to tell you what prop should be on your boat for the best performance. He's a great guy to deal with and an FM sponsor! I personally haven't found any place with better prices on props. Phred52