• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Radios (handheld)

lindy rig

Question

I saw a post about this topic a couple weeks ago, but after 30 minutes of searching in various forums I cannot find it.

What are the best brands of the handheld marine radios? I know the range is less, but is it even worth it? My main thing is it would be nice to get weather / wind forecasts.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Didn't see any of those brands at Gander yesterday.

Anybody with experience Cobra, Raymarine, Standard Horizon?

Looks like most are 5 or 6 W output. Any idea of the range out on big water? The packages really didn't say.

I used a friends hand held on the Missouri river over here in SD. I believe it was a Cobra modle and we could talk for about 5 miles then it got pretty bad. But for a hand modle I thought that was great. For most aplications that would be all a person would need but you go to one of the great lakes and I would make sure I had some thing stronger. JMO!!

Didn't see any of those brands at Gander yesterday.

Anybody with experience Cobra, Raymarine, Standard Horizon?

Looks like most are 5 or 6 W output. Any idea of the range out on big water? The packages really didn't say.

Most places don't quote range because of many variables beyond their control. If they do state a range, it's likely under perfect conditions which you'll seldom have.

I'd say 3-5 miles is about tops for handheld to handheld.