Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lindy rig

Marine Radios (handheld)

5 posts in this topic

I saw a post about this topic a couple weeks ago, but after 30 minutes of searching in various forums I cannot find it.

What are the best brands of the handheld marine radios? I know the range is less, but is it even worth it? My main thing is it would be nice to get weather / wind forecasts.

Thanks!

I think for the most part any of the brand names probably won't be too much different.

Uniden, Kenwood, Icom, et al.

Didn't see any of those brands at Gander yesterday.

Anybody with experience Cobra, Raymarine, Standard Horizon?

Looks like most are 5 or 6 W output. Any idea of the range out on big water? The packages really didn't say.

I used a friends hand held on the Missouri river over here in SD. I believe it was a Cobra modle and we could talk for about 5 miles then it got pretty bad. But for a hand modle I thought that was great. For most aplications that would be all a person would need but you go to one of the great lakes and I would make sure I had some thing stronger. JMO!!

Didn't see any of those brands at Gander yesterday.

Anybody with experience Cobra, Raymarine, Standard Horizon?

Looks like most are 5 or 6 W output. Any idea of the range out on big water? The packages really didn't say.

Most places don't quote range because of many variables beyond their control. If they do state a range, it's likely under perfect conditions which you'll seldom have.

I'd say 3-5 miles is about tops for handheld to handheld.