• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaf miners???

Went and checked out my apple trees the other day. They are covered with what I always called tent catapillars. The little buggers that build those tent looking web things. Someone told me they are called leaf miners and they kill trees.

What do I spray these little tent building dudes with?

They won't kill a tree, just defoliate it.

Usually the tree will get new foliage once they're gone, but it'll be smaller leaves ande over a period of years, the tree will become too stressed if this reoccurs, and then die, just as any repeatedly stressed tree would.

We've had them on some trees here and there. About 7-8 years ago they were really bad. I remember going up to Red Lake and just about every tree was bare from these things in June.

No sweat. In my travels, they're fairly prevalent this spring in the plums and other species along the fencelines. I get 'em every once in awhile in our trees too. For a little more entertainment one can take the propane torch after them. grin