Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Wettschreck

Leaf miners???

6 posts in this topic

Went and checked out my apple trees the other day. They are covered with what I always called tent catapillars. The little buggers that build those tent looking web things. Someone told me they are called leaf miners and they kill trees.

What do I spray these little tent building dudes with?

Looks like they are Eastern Tent Catapillars. I ripped off all the tents and squished every tiny crawler I could find. I didn't see too much leaf damage so hopefully I'll get apples this fall.

Thanks for the info Dotch!!!!!

They won't kill a tree, just defoliate it.

Usually the tree will get new foliage once they're gone, but it'll be smaller leaves ande over a period of years, the tree will become too stressed if this reoccurs, and then die, just as any repeatedly stressed tree would.

We've had them on some trees here and there. About 7-8 years ago they were really bad. I remember going up to Red Lake and just about every tree was bare from these things in June.

No sweat. In my travels, they're fairly prevalent this spring in the plums and other species along the fencelines. I get 'em every once in awhile in our trees too. For a little more entertainment one can take the propane torch after them. grin

Went out to the back forty after work yesterday. Most of the trees have real good leaves and tiny little apples on them. So, it appears I dodged a bullet this year.

Thanks again for the info fellas.