Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reid G

How long for the flippin rod?

21 posts in this topic

Lookin to pick up a new one tonight. Should I go 7', 7'6", 7' 9", or 7'11"?

I think some of it depends how tall you are. I am 5'7" and struggle with rods over 7'2". Another buddy of mine at the same height struggles as well with the longer rods. I looked at some 7'6" and 8'0" but they felt awkward. I found a nice deal on one at 7'0" that felt better. I was thinking I would go longer but I bought a shorter one because it felt right and, better yet, the price was right.

Reid,

I was a 7'6" guy until I built myself an 8fter. I don't even like my 7'6" to flip with anymore. I am planning on building another pair for next season. I have two 8ftrs on the deck at almost all times.

Go longer if can. They will feel weird at first until you spend a half of day with them. The big key is hooking, fighting and landing a fish. You have so much more control.

I built mine with added weight on the butt to help balance it out. There are several different after market options out there and they should help take some of the tip weight issue away.

7'6" is what I use... I do however want to use a longer rod sometimes, but I think a 7'6" is a perfect all around length for me. smile

Do what feels right in your hands, I personally like the bigger rods, no clue why confused

Whoa! Too much information!

lol

Negative on cedar, pre-fishin german/jeff tomorrow and sunday for next weekends Ultimate Bass tournament. I will try to come to the cedar weigh in though.

BTW, went with the 7' 11" Heavy St. Croix Mojo Bass with the Daiwa Viento and 50# super braid. Just got finished settin it up.

Reid, I looked at that rod and almost pulled the trigger on it. An awesome rod for the money... I might copy you one of these days and pick it up...

Ditto on loving the 7'11" LT. It makes an awesome swimbait rod for baits up to 2 ounces, as well as flipping rod. I built mine this winter with fuji alconite size 4 guides spiral wrapped, and split grip no for grip. I paired it with a Team Daiwa Tierra that matches the color of the blank very well.

i want to get 7'2 with a revo for jigs but i bought 2 revo and a ardien and a new flipen rod

It is good to see that you went to the max length. If it wasn't for flippin rods, I don't think there would be a length limit.

Myself, I would use a 16' rod. Then again not all Bass fisherman are B,A,S,S fisherman.