• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Registration-Do I really need one?

nate18

Hello all,

I have the unfortunate limitation of living in IL, and ice-fish in MN, WI and MI. Do I need to obtain an ATV registration for each state? The only thing I use my ATV for is fishing, from the trailer to the lake and back on the trailer. Do I need any special permits in MN? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Nate

It's my understanding that in Illinois you don't have to register your ATV since the state does not provide riders with land for trail riding, but if you take your atv into Wisconsin I do believe you need a trail pass even for ice fishing, so your best bet is to get a Wisconsin trail pass(see Wi DNR site) and you should be covered in Mn also

I haven't ridden in WI, but is the trail pass the actual WI registration?

Also, if the state of Illinois doesn't have ATV registrations, I believe he would need to register the machine in MN.

Hello all,

Thanks much for the feedback on my topic. RSS and LEP7MM are correct, IL does not have registrations for ATVs. I called the WI DNR and they suggested that I register it in WI. It appears that as long as it is registered, no matter what state, I should be fine. Now i just need to flip a coin and figure out which state i should give my money to. Thanks again for the help!

Nate

I didn't clarify it well enough, but if I'm not mistaken, if your machine isn't registered in your home state and you come to MN, you must register the machine in MN.

The best way to find out is to call the MN DNR at 1-888-MINN-DNR.

I didn't clarify it well enough, but if I'm not mistaken, if your machine isn't registered in your home state and you come to MN, you must register the machine in MN.

The best way to find out is to call the MN DNR at 1-888-MINN-DNR.

Also I don't know if it went into effect yet but I believe they passed a law that will require non-residents to puyrchase a trail sticker like WI does. WI sticker is $38/year good from July 1st thru June 30th.

Off-highway vehicle registrations & fees

Registration procedures

NOTE: OHVs legally registered in another state or country, and not in Minnesota for more than 30 days, are NOT required to purchase a Minnesota registration. If your state does not require a registration, you will need a Minnesota registration.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ohv/index.html