• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Chevy Truck shopping

Hey Harvey I also have a 2006 Silverado 5.3 1500 ext cab, and it get great mpg! and pulls the boat nice. What color do you have Harvey?

Bunt2K Thanks for calling me Ksnap! ha I didn't know many people knew about that!

I think you should just go get a new style 1500 5.3 the new one is putting out 315 HP and you can get it in the long box. That thing will be able to tow anything you need and you will get awesome gas mileage!

Ksnap - all of us in the SC forum know you as that laugh

Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate it!

LMITOUT: your making me drool thinking of that power laugh PDOGG has one also and loves it! The longevity of a diesel, and as you said trade in, will make me give it a very hard look.

With the current GM bankruptcy, and dealers closing, I am keeping a keen eye out as there will be huge deals coming up in the next few months as dealer try to get rid of inventory.

Again, thanks everyone for the input!

I am stuck alone with my kids. frown and they don't want to fish right now, dang kids! will be on mazaska tomorrow though smile

Look at the report/pics from Mourneau and I. Thats Masaska walleye! If you arn't snagging weeds, you wont find the fish! laugh Use crawlers on a 1 ~ 2 foot lindy type set up. Troll .07-1.0.

8-12 FOW. Tight to the weed line. Can't stress that enough. laugh

Went truck looking today. Found my truck! laugh

09, Duramax/Alison 4 door. LTZ. That thing was beautiful! Drove like a dream also.

Now, the wife knows I need a new truck, and told me to start looking, but how do I explain the truck I found is over $50k. lol.

good call 4wandering laugh

Whoaru - didnt buy YET laugh but will. After LIMITOUT's lil explanation....I am SOLD!.

That is one solid tank. And I will volunteer to move Mt Rushmore if they need to laugh

And more power means, I may have to trade in the alumacraft trophy for something like, oh, a big glass boat? hehe...i think that may come after the divorce. lol.

I'd do a little shopping around if you can wait. A lot of times some of the bigger volume dealers will offer a better price, if they have any left that is, and you may want to check those guys out too if you haven't already.

There is/was a GM HSOforum that has all their inventory listed but don't recall what it is right now. You type in a zip code and some rough specs and it'll tell you where a truck with that configuration is on a dealer lot. I bought mine about this time three years ago and it wasn't easy finding the color and configuration I was looking for at the end of the model year. I didn't want a crew cab and I didn't want leather, but I wanted bucket seats, and those aren't real plentiful in the world today full of crew cabs loaded up with leather, etc. I ended up finding one in Iowa after punching in a lot of zip codes and don't have a problem traveling to a dealer that will give the best price.

Another thing to remember with diesels is their oil changes aren't cheap and you have to be mindful of your fuel filter and keeping that changed on a regular basis. I do all my own maintenance so I save a little there. Fuel filters are $30 or better and the engine takes 10qts of oil. Diesels do have a little more maintenance than a gasser, so you do have to think about those costs as well when figuring out if it really fits your needs/wants.

Will do.

I run amsoil so that will help. I am shopping for the right one still. Dont want leather either, but want the 4 door and bucket seats.

I will be waiting until this fall in all reality...its hard to not pull the trigger on it right away, but I totally agree on shopping around to get the exact truck you want. Heck, I let my wife pick out the Tahoe that I am driving...that aint happenin this time laugh

After test driving one, and your testimony and PDOGGS. I am sold on the diesel. I think the total resale value down the road at 200k miles, and all around will best suit my needs.

I had an 07 chev 2500hd with Isuzu Duramax 6.6 LBZ and an Allison 1000 6 speed auto. Tranny was awesome! Engine not so much. I've had Powerstroke and Cummins too. Comparing the three (some stock, some highly modified) the Duramax spent way too much of it's 30k mi life in the shop getting repaired and got terrible mileage. 10 pulling 23 foot camper and 14 pulling 18 foot aluminum boat. Real world mileage empty was around 16-17 at best. It started well in winter but the very slightest gelling dropped the fuel rail pressure below its normal operating pressure throwing a code and placed the engine into "safe mode" limiting rpms to 1600. A trip to the dealer or buying a scan tool was needed to reset pcm back to normal. The front lower bra that came with the truck for winter use proved to be the cause of snow dust entering the intake and icing over the $60 Donaldson air filter.

The Duramax towed like a bat out of you know what (besides the mileage and suspension)! I went to a 08 GMC Sierra with 5.3 LMG and so far its been great! 15 mpg with boat, 10 with camper, and almost 20 with nothing on the hitch!

Having diesels for the last 5 years I'd stay away from the new DPF engines. Real world mileage has fallen down to almost single digits again. I'm sticking to gas or looking for used 7.3 powerstrokes, 5.9 cummins, or LLY Duramax engines until the mileage is improved. Having half the emissions and using twice the fuel makes little sense to me.

I'll chime in here. I have a 2004 duramax with the lly engine, 2500HD with standard cab and long box. I have checked the mileage with each tank and the worse I have gotten is 18mpg and did 19.28 with the last tank. Haven't towed with it yet so that will have to wait. Kept it outside all last winter and only plugged it in when more than -20 at night. Fired right up every morning. Little rough at first but let it warm for a while and she is great. Not sure what the newer ones get with all the pollution stuff on it but I sure am happy with mine.

I thought I read yesterday on GMInsideNews they are adding variable valve timing on the gassers for 2010. Can't confirm it, but it maybe worth it to wait!

At least Ford isn't asking (and getting) BILLIONS in government bail out money. I've always been a GM guy, but my next truck will probably be a Ford.