• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunken Motor

perchking

I have a mid 80's evinrude 25hp motor at our cabin in Wisconsin. Well actually it has been in 30fow for the past 3 days. Knowing something wasn't right from the 1st place when he told me the motor had been stolen being I was there 2 days before and saw it in the basement. So I fed him a few beers last night a the cabin and I got a confession. So not happy to say the least. Now my problem is getting it back. I guess he dint have it tight and didnt want to bother to hook up the safety chains. So I am looking for a diver right now to try to go and find it, if he can it great if not my in-law is buying me a new motor. My question is will the motor be able to be repaired? He said it didn't die right away, I am assuming it burnt out the gas that was in the hose, yes that went with it also. So any suggestions?

Hopefully no sediment got in the motor.

If recovered, pull plugs and drain carb right away. Crank motor slowly by hand at various angles including upside down and sideways to get as much water out as possible. "feel" the water coming out for any grit or sediment. Get new gas through the fuel system ASAP so the carb internals get some lubrication.

Get a can of premix with some Seafoam in it for the first tank. If the water coming out of the motor is clean and doesnt't have sediment/grit, put in new plugs, and start pulling. It should start eventually. You will have to stop and dry off the plugs quite often at first as there will be lots of moisture in the crankcase that you will need to cycle through. Use a little starting fluid after a while.

Try to spray some contact cleaner uynder the flywheel to get the electronics on their way to dry. Don't start cranking until that stuff has evaporated. Same goes if you have a starter motor on it.

If you can't get it running yourself, fog the heck out of it and bring it in to a dealer who can get working on it ASAP.

If you do get it running, let it run at a lower speed for a significant amount of time to get all the moisture burned through and also to let the heat of the motor dry off the electronics, etc. You may want to regrease the exterior grease fittings to push the water out of there.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks so much, being it is not on my dime I am bringing it into the local Marine Mechanic, that is if we can find it.

PK

That works even better. If you find it get it in ASAP.

A friend tipped and lost his canoe motor in one of the very clear BW rivers (pre-motor ban). (Chris M if you are reading this I am referring to Ray). The water was too high and fast for several weeks for him to be able to dive down and get it. He finally did get it, got it running, and is still using and that was almost 30 years ago. As marine man said, sediment can make or break the deal.

Steve

I got the same problem--dropped a 35 Johnson in Lake Nipigon last week. I been fooling with the motor all spring and finally got it to run right and then took off without the saftey chain on it. After 40 years as a guide you would think I would know better. It was running when it went down. I think I can get it running again if (big IF) I can find it.

We grow to soon old and too late smartz

Doesn't it make a difference if it was running when it went in? I would think that it would suck in a lot of water as it died. Thirty feet is awfully deep - it may be worth an insurance claim rather than screwing around too much.

I'm sure it killed before it made it 5' down.

Drain it and run it for a long time.

I think I'd get some satisfaction watching the B-I-L dive for it.

In these cold water temps that would be 5' down too before he froze his noggies.

Without side imagining and working in a grid I think its a goner though.

also look into a bunch abig magnets and drag them around.. when you get it out make sure you dont leave it out for more than 2 hours or things could rust.. if it is needed to be outa the water for more than 2 hours and not run full a tub and submurege it in fresh water to provent rust.. water + air + iorn = pain in the #$$

Snooze,

Well the 1st diver couldn't find it, I didn't think it would be to hard but I guess it is a pretty mucky bottom in that area and the visibility is not good at all.. He was only down for about 30 minutes so not sure what to do next. Our Cabin is in Presque Isle which is by Mercer and Mantowish Waters.

I'd give the brother-in-law a pair of swim trunks and a 50' section of plastic tube to breath through! When he comes up without it, tired and out of breath, I'd tell him not to be such a dishonest jacka$$ the next time --- just as I was dialing the sales department at the motor shop.

I'd give the brother-in-law a pair of swim trunks and a 50' section of plastic tube to breath through! When he comes up without it, tired and out of breath, I'd tell him not to be such a dishonest jacka$$ the next time --- just as I was dialing the sales department at the motor shop.

heyyy thats a good idea!!