• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which should i get

What have you hunted over previously? How did you like how they worked? If you haven't hunted over both types and if you're not in a big hurry to buy, I'd suggest waiting until this season and see if you could hunt over the type you're not familiar with and then decide. Since you haven't picked your type yet, I can assume you haven't picked a breeder either. Since it's June, you're not going to have a dog you can hunt with by this season anyway, unless you don't buy a pup. If you wait until the season is half way through to decide, you'll still have time to select a breeder and get a pup ready for next season.

I just got my first dog, a lab, last June. Though I thought that I'd get a GSP when I got a dog, the right circumstances came together for this lab and I couldn't pass it up. I now feel like I got pretty lucky. He was a very good hunter last season at only 7 months old and now after more training, I can't wait to see how he works this year. One nice surprise that I got was that this dog turned out to be a pointing lab. On his second trip to SoDak last December, he started pointing the birds. I had no idea what the proper way to handle that was, so I started walking up behind him when he was on point and then telling him, "Go get 'em!" and he'd dive into the cover, flush the bird, and if it was a rooster and I didn't miss, he'd retrieve it.

I honestly thing that you can't make a bad choice. As long as you do you part and train it (or have it trained), you'll be happy.