• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the bass hiding now?

ShoreGuy1984

alot of the bass in alex are just bedding down, this lake is a smaller, murkier lake. and the spawn was over about a week ago now. but the bigger fish and some smaller fish were still patrolling the spawning areas they were very picky, but took a fly right when i tossed it out. or in deeper areas around spawning grounds, staging and feeding, getting ready to disperse into the main lake. i have a couple days left with those fish, before they spread out.

shallow fish

23" long, 5lb 7oz!

101_0693.jpg

3lb even

101_0695.jpg

21.5" and 4lb 9oz

101_0694.jpg

deeper fish

the biggest of them.

101_0640-1.jpg

Now that it is post-spawn on a lot of lakes, where would the bass most likly be located? Any info would be great, thanks!

The first drop off the spawning area with light to medim weed coverage. Sand closeby can be a bonus.

Basically follow a transition of depth, bottom content, or weed type out toward the summer deep holding spots and try that first drop area. In many lakes it's 12 feet or less.

Try a drop shot or small jig worm. Put a rattle in it.

Sweet, thanks for the info! The only problem is that these spots seem kinda hard to get to, since I do not have a boat, which really sucks lol. I really need to figure out how to buy a boat, so I can access all the spots on the lake where bass are.

Please be careful - twisting the jaw like that is a bad habit. Hold them straight up/down when lipping, and on the bigger fish use 2 hands to support the weight.

no worries, the fish were supported with both hands, except for the second to pic up the fly rod just in time for the self timer.

the jaw isnt really twisted. the fish are held at a bit of an angle to show the size of the mouth. the camera distorted the 5lbers pic since it wasnt laying flat and all that.

carpman. What katoguy is saying is fairly true, if you hold the fish like that it can put a ton of stress on the jaw, even break it. Respectfully to you, they are nice fish, but I too would like to see a better hold on the fish.

i know that it does, i have seen a few people kill some nice bass my holding them out completely horizontally, and not supporting the belly.

i should have supported the one from the deeper water, since my hands were free. i might have to master how to hold the fly rod in my mouth without destroying my own jaws, lol. then i could support the fish better that i would have both hands free

Originally Posted By: ShoreGuy1984
Now that it is post-spawn on a lot of lakes, where would the bass most likly be located? Any info would be great, thanks!

The first drop off the spawning area with light to medim weed coverage. Sand closeby can be a bonus.

Basically follow a transition of depth, bottom content, or weed type out toward the summer deep holding spots and try that first drop area. In many lakes it's 12 feet or less.

Try a drop shot or small jig worm. Put a rattle in it.

Wanderer covered it pretty well, I don't fish too many lakes but I have noticed a similar pattern with the river (Now I just need to get better with the drop shot haha). Not having a boat does make it more difficult.

Carpman, just curious why you don't put the rod on the ground or lean it against something? I don't fly fish or know anything about how the rods/reels are set up, but I would assume it cant hurt them.

not even close to post spawn on the lakes I have been on...the water temp was only around 62...they are still in prespawn

Carpman, just curious why you don't put the rod on the ground or lean it against something? I don't fly fish or know anything about how the rods/reels are set up, but I would assume it cant hurt them.

fishin58 said it all, same reason why you put your weapon on the deer when you get it

not even close to post spawn on the lakes I have been on...the water temp was only around 62...they are still in prespawn

Hmmm. Interesting. In the metro area the males are guarding the their fry pods at their nests and we didn't see any females shallow.

By females I mean any bass 3 lbs or better or two fish on or near the same bed.

That's what I saw last weekend anyway.

I also fish the alex. area and fish are still on beds. I caught a few yesterday in the miserable weather but it was tuff. All of my nicer fish came on a jig and my biggest was 19 inches off a dock. Caught a few smaller ones on cranks. The girlfiend came with (what a trooper) and she threw a spinnerbait and only managed one 15 incher on a reed edge in 5 foot of water. the lake temp was between 61-63. I tried some 7-10 foot weeds and got a few bites but only landed a 31 inch northern. I only fished half a day since we took a 2 hour afternoon break to warmed up in the camper and the first half of the morning was spent muskie fishing. hopefully next weekend brings some warmer weather.

Hey wanderer,

All the fish seen on beds at the lake I was fishing were all females. I didn't see one less than 17 inches and some were pushing 20. Again though im fishing around the Alex. area. What are the water temps were your at just out of curiosity?

I think the females down here in the Mankato area are just starting to come out of the post spawn lull. I started out today in 7-10 FOW because of the temp drop but I didn't have any luck. I went to a new spot and fished shallow. I switched from a swim jig to spinner bait and caught my best fish of the year a sold 4lb fish. Went back to the house for some lunch and watched a guy catch another 4-5lb fish right next to my parents dock.

Hey wanderer,

All the fish seen on beds at the lake I was fishing were all females. I didn't see one less than 17 inches and some were pushing 20. Again though im fishing around the Alex. area. What are the water temps were your at just out of curiosity?

We had 66 degree main lake surface temps by the end of the day, according to our guage.

Yesterday on Coon I had 60 in the Southern half and 63 in the Northern half. I could see several beds in the shallows but very few fish.

I am suprised to hear that all the fish you saw on beds were females and only females. That's not what I am normally used to.

The males make the nest, court a female to it, spawn, then stay and protect it after she leaves. Really, I can't say with all certainty that I'm looking at a male or female while its swimming or sitting on the nest, I'm more judging what I'm seeing by behavior and general size. I also keep in mind that water magnifies by about 40%.

Sounds like you have some pretty good fish in your area. smile Good luck with em!

I guess i cannot say that all were female because i can not distinguish sex just by how they look in the water either. I do realize how much fish are magnified in water. I have bass and muskie fished for 12 years and trust me over the past i have learned (specially with muskie) that what you see is not always what you catch when judging size. I know that the fish were larger wether they be males or females i am not certain. Good luck to you and have a safe fishing season. O and yes it is a pretty good bass lake wink

Please be careful - twisting the jaw like that is a bad habit. Hold them straight up/down when lipping, and on the bigger fish use 2 hands to support the weight.

Ah, I didn't think that was necessary...guess ya learn something new every day!