• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choke on an older V4 Johnson Sea Horse

Jim Uran

115 hp.. not sure on the year, looks to be an early to mid 80's. I was hoping someone would know a little about the choke or give me a starting point on what to look for.

The problem: The choke won't close from the control center(key). I can hear a click back there but no movement. The motor runs fine if I close the choke at start up manually under the hood, but I don't want to have to do that everytime, and there is plenty of juice in the battery to turn the motor over and fire it up.

Is there an actuator, or something that might have crapped out, There are no extra linkage pieces or anything laying on the bottom of the engine compartment, so I don't know what the heck to think.

Any tips would be great fellas. Until than, I'll be the guy at the landing taking of the engine hood to get it started wink

There is a solenoid, plunger, rods, a couple of levers. One of the levers is a manual choke lever. make sure it is in the right position. What I mean is, you can "lock" the choke off manually just as you can choke manually. It should be the center position.

I'll check that out tonight. I seen the levers for the manual choke on the left side of the carbs. But I didn't see any rods or anything. I'll have to take a better look at it tonight. I'll have more time to mess with it this weekend!!!!

TTT,

Well finally having time to take a look at it, it appears the solenoid is bad, I can hear the dam thing click, but it doesn't move the choke plates. I did make sure the lock was in the correct position and still just a click, not sure if the solenoids are rebuildable or if there is a way to test if it's getting enough juice... It(the motor)turns over and fires up fine after opening it up manually.

Thanks fellas,

Try disconnecting the solenoid from it's linkage and see if anything moves. Usually the "click" that you hear is the plunger being pulled into the solenoid coil and slapping the housing. You may just have a stuck or disconnected linkage component.

Is this a primer solenoid or a choke solenoid?

If the linkage from the choke is connected to the solenoid then its a choke solenoid. If your not seeing any linkage then it is a primer solenoid and I think that is what you have.. Since your hearing clicking the solenoid is working but your not getting the spray of fuel. You can rebuild the or replace the prime.

leechbait I had to laugh when I read about your problem because I had a buddy who had the same motor and the same problem. It was part of our unloading ritual to take the top off the motor so one guy ran the choke while the other turned the key. The rest of the day it would run perfect. I hope that it is a easy fix for you.