• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubby Darter Success??

Bushwacker

Question

Last year I bought 4 Chubby Darters at the Ice fishing show because almost every booth seemed like they had them and had tanks set up showing their awesome action. Did anybody have any real success with them? They look like they would work great but I only caught one walleye on LOW last year with mine and I for a lot of hours last season. Please help me out because I would really like to show all of my buddies who gave me the business about them that they really do work.

12 answers to this question

I think this is a great question. I too would like some feedback from anyone that used these lures last year. I bought one last year after the season so have not used it yet. I am a big fan of the swimming jigs I use the Nils Jigging shad almost exclusivly and will use the spoon type baits at times, but have caught more walleyes on that Nils shad then anything else in the last 3 yrs. The Chubby darter looks like it would fish a little differntly, so any information would be great. Thanks,

JR

Oh ya, they work!

One thing to remember about a Chubby is it often works best up off the bottom, some times WAY UP.

You may start working it in the first foot off the bottom but once you spot a mark start working it up higher. I have had walleye chase them up 15' off bottom to whack them.

As a larger lure with more of a 3D profile it had a lot of hog calling power. Make the fish want it and they will whack them eagerly.

Then there are days when you need to beat the mud and stir up a bite, all things are relative to conditions. More often then not they produce best on an aggressive presentation.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I can through a vote in for them. They only place I've used them is on Mille lacs. At one point we had a camera down one of the other holes in our permenant. The action of the darter is great. All that vibration brings in fish. The best way to work them is to jig it occasionally and then let it glide back to its hanging position. I only used it with the vex. All or most of the fish hit on a slow retreive up. Even when you pull it up slow, it shakes like a shad. You can tip it with a head, but this will sacrifice action.Yes it works, but I wouldn't depend on it as my first resort. It can be compared to a cicada. Except the darter has horizantal motion. Its a lure worth having.

Chubbys are for real. I've caught pike on every color and size, including a 40 incher. To gain the advantage over live bait use scent. Its all in the motion you give the lure.

I have used it for perch and for walleyes. Great lure. A lot of perch fishing I do is done by sight fishing them on shallow flats. Man does it attract them in. I have had them fly in and attack it like a pike. If they fly in and stare at it I have a backup rod ready with another type of lure they like that day. My buddy and I were on a lake last year, both using the Chubby Darter and we caught 60 walleyes in 2.5 hours. Believe it they work!

Butch

For walleye and pike I like the CD5 and the CD6. Most of the time I like the CD6 for bigger fish.

chubby_dod_1.jpg

Scent can be a liquid or a paste, Dr. Juice is a good one for walleye. Another option I use a lot is to mush up a minnow and smear it on the lure. You can add a head to the rear treble but it will diminish the action of the lure.

chubby_dod_2.jpg

For perch or crappie the CD4 can be a hot bet. They work well tipped with a Euro-Larva or rigged with a drop link tipped with a minnow head or a larva.

01_04.jpg

-----------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-21-2002).]

Backwater Eddy is right. They work great further off the bottom. I caught a nice Walleye 8'off the bottom last year. It shouldn't be your only lure to use. But when they are active they will come up and drill the Chubby Darter. Have fun, Bruce Mosher

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

I did very well on DL with the Hot Perch and Gold too. Otter Tail Lake is another place where I cleaned up on walleye with the Hot Perch CD-6. They are a good tool to have in your bag of ice tricks.

I keep Scenic Tackle Angel Eye spoons, a few Rocker minnows, a blade bait or two, assorted Cast-Masters, A Nils Master or two, some plain jigs & hooks, and my Chubby CD 4-5-& 6's all in a go-too box while ice fishing.

Salmo is working on a Rattle version of the Chubby Darter. I am not sure if it will be out in 2002-2003? They didn't see rattles as that key at first, although the US demand for rattles has them working on it. I am not sure rattles are necessary on all models either? It would make for a good option.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

from reading about the chubby darter in last
years forum i sent away for 1 chartuse darter
i had fairly good luck with it!!.From 1 to 10
i would rate it an 8. its the the first thing
i put on!!