• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another dog food thread

Big Dave2

I have an almost 2 year old Brittany who we have fed Nutra Source to ever since she was born. Lately we have noticed more and more that she is [PoorWordUsage] a lot. One day last weekend my wife and I counted at least 5 times that she went in one day.

I know that Nutra Source is a quality dog food but I am thinking that there is something about it that makes it not right for her, so I want to try something else. My only requirement on food is that I can purchase it in Belle Plaine where I live so that I am not running 25 miles just for dog food.

We have a local CO-OP Country store that sells many brands of dog food. I went and took a look last night at some of the brands that they carry. The promising looking ones were:

Exclusive

Science Diet

Nutro

Canidae

Royal Canin

Of these brands, which would you feed your dog?

Have you tried science diet? It's good dog food, very digestable, and they have all kinds of formulations for your dogs specific requirements. You could try a bag and see if it helps. It's helped my dogs with the same problem you're having with yours.

Been feeding Nutri Source for about 10 years to both my sleddogs and birders (Sibs and Springers) all with great results. Many things may cause multiple/loose stools. Have you wormed it lately? It's still young and likely to eat anything it can catch, dig up or otherwise discover. See if it continues and be sure its drinking enough water.

Other than that, most premium foods are well worth the extra money. Fed Science Diet for many years when I had less dogs and could by it in the company store (worked for another C/P owned company.)

NS has a probiotic in it, but if the stools loose you can buy it in powder form.

Changing food abruptly can cause the same issue. Some dogs develop certain sensitivities but I'd bet its a temporary problem.

We have our pup on special digestion formula by Royal Canin right now because he had some loose stool issues. Not sure the cause it was either a reaction to the vaccination he just had, something he ate off the ground, or possibly worms but he just got done with a deworming treatment a few weeks ago.

We've had ok results with it. It got him back to normal but it did take 4-5 days. For the price though ($18-$20 for a 10 pound) bag I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd probaly try something else first.

Normally we feed him Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice and have had good luck with it. Usually just 2 p00ps a day, maybe 3 on the odd occasion. He certainly eats it quicker but the kibble is smaller so it goes down easier.

During the switch make sure to switch the dog over slowly by mixing more of the new food into the old food over a few days. That should limit any stomach issues so you'll get a better idea if the new food is working better or not.

Dave,

I have Switched to Native Level 2 or 3. I found that many of the dog foods companies have been changing there formulas in an effort to keep from raising prices. Native has went up in price and maintained quality. Nutri Source may have changed there formula, in effect changing the food with no break in period for you pup, if this is the case it should go away in a short period of time. If not I would lean towards worming.

Ben

My 5 year old started on Nutri Source and it was fine for a little while. He just has a sensitive tummy and I've switched brands several times, including a prescription one that was $85 for a 27# bag. That one worked but too expensive. I have recently had good results with [PoorWordUsage] Van Patten's Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe and salmon recipe. Finally he's gotten solid all day and the gas isn't as bad either. He passed the low protein test from the vet also (he had low protein before all the switching).

I have recently had good results with [PoorWordUsage] Van Patten's Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe and salmon recipe.

[PoorWordUsage] Van Patten....now THAT's funny!

I used NutriSource LB Puppy formula for the first year and loved the results but when he turned 1, I changed to Taste of the Wild. Even though I was happy with NutriSource, I was lured into TotW by the great ingredient list (venison & bison are in the top 4 ingredients) but I think it's a bit hot for him. He has nasty gas, drops cow pies, and usually looks like he's in discomfort when he goes.

I'm halfway through my second big bag of TofW but I'm giving up and will be switching back to NutriSource.

To answer your question, I'd compare the ingredient list and the amount off food they recommend. Just look at the list, I'd try either Canidae or Royal Canin

I've got my Brit on Native as well. That's what he's been on since day one - they are a PF sponsor, and my breeder was doing his part to help promote. I've stuck with it. No problems, natural ingredients and I can switch to a higher energy mix during hunting season without having to phase him in and out of it. I'm told they are tinkering with a formula better suited for Labs, as not all Labs seem to take to it, but I'm yet to talk to a Brit owner who isn't sold on it.

Iams - well balanced, premium nutrition. available at target, mills, etc...

Main bird dog gets ProActive Lamb&Rice, Senior gets Active maturity. They are healthy, hunt hard, maintain even weight in off-season ...

Used Eukanuba but the number of varieties drove me nuts. By the way both Iams and Eukanuba are owned by P&G.

Loyall is ok. But without Chicken meal, Lamb meal, etc... As the #1 ingredient I would find something else. Chicken By-product Meal is what Loyall has. Which is organs, intestines, bones, and cartilage.

I've done some research on ingredients over the last couple weeks being we are getting a new put soon.

The one that we are leaning towards is the Diamond brand Naturals formula.

It has the meat as the first ingredients and doesn't list corn in the ingredients at all.

I was told that Corn will create loose stools and from my checking, a lot of the big names contain corn as the first ingredient.

I've done some research on ingredients over the last couple weeks being we are getting a new put soon.

The one that we are leaning towards is the Diamond brand Naturals formula.

It has the meat as the first ingredients and doesn't list corn in the ingredients at all.

I was told that Corn will create loose stools and from my checking, a lot of the big names contain corn as the first ingredient.

Mule

I have been using Diamond naturals lamb and rice since the beginning of my 4 year old dog for 3 years now (the large bread puppy Naturals for the first year). It has been fantastic. During the hunting season I switch to the extreme athlete.

Not only that the local lumber store starting with an M carries it at $30 a bag.

Well, I got talked into trying a new brand called Exclusive. I was a little aprehensive at first but this food sure took care of the p00ping problem. With Nutrasource she would go 3-5 times a day. Last weekend we were camping which is an excellent way to count the piles because we pick up every one as it happens. She only went 3 times from Friday at about 4:00 pm til sunday 3;00pm. So far I am happy with the results and the Exclusive costs about the same or a couple dollars less than the Nutrasource.