• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Topwater Frogs

riverkid21

I use frogs ALL year long. They work great! Sometimes... ppl tend to think too deep into patterns, lure, colors, etc, they forget to keep it simple. Throw what you need to catch a fish.. not what is in season to attract a fish.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the spro frog from may to sept but i will swich it up with the rage frog later on when thay want some thing with more noise the spro or snag proof frog are nice when thay want something slow or thay keep missing the rage frog

Originally Posted By: KTapper
Just buy some scum frogs! the popper style I love those things!

scum frogs all the way man.....I love the trophy series and also the walking bassrat that they make.

I love the Scum Frog Trophy Series!! I lost my white Spro frog, went to Frankie's for a replacement - they were out of white, so I grabbed one of the white (with red) Scum Frogs. Added bonus, it was $3 cheaper than the Spro.

Tried it this evening on top of floating mats of curley leaf, and had awesome success with it. The hooking percentage of the scum frog put the spro frog to shame. I think one key reason is the body is much softer than the Spro.

One observation is that the Spro seems to swim/bob much more natural then the scum frog. I did not use it much through open water areas, so not sure if it is any less effective.

The only thinh I would consider is going to a longer rod. I use a 7-6 and it really helps with longer distance hook sets...

That and taking a second or two before you set the hook.

They were really thumping the frog this morning. Perfect conditions for it. Hazy, misty, and calm. Once the wind picked up and the sky turned bright, it slowed down.

I use a 7' Shimano Curcial MH with 30# power pro and a shimano curado reel. I have been using those green pumpkin cabelas mad tommy toads with a red 4/0 gami EWG hook. I like to fish it in scattered milfoil and grass just below the surface. I work it slow enough that I get a lot of thumps about 4-6" below the surface. It almost feels like a jig bite yet horizontal. It is a really fun way to fish when the conditions are right. You do need to wait a second to make sure they have it. The power pro is a must.

Good fishing!!

I know how hard it is! Especially if you get in a school and you are expecting bites. If at all possible just wait til you feel the bite...

And make sure if you have another guy in the boat, he has a jig ready to throw in there if you miss the fish.

It does have a long face, kinda looks like a snakehead. The mouth was HUGE when I lipped it. She inhaled said frog.

Speaking of topwater frogs - I crimp the barbs down because when I wait that 1-2 seconds after the blowup the hooks are in the throat. I've messed up some big bass back in the day because of that and felt terrible. Just something to consider. MHO

I use an older 7 foot rod that works perfectly for froggin'(though it's not much use for anything else). It's paired with an older Abu Garcia Eminence 3000. This is low profile, 6.3:1 ratio reel, that's spooled with 50# power pro. When froggin', or when using other topwaters, I find higher speed reels very useful for picking up slack line.

I don't mind using 7'6" flipping sticks, as they're useful for other applications, but I find they have some trouble throwing lighter frogs.

Topwater frogs have been working really good for me about every time I go out. I have been using a 6'6" MH rod. With this rod, I land quite a few bass with no troubles, but still wanna go out and buy a 7'0" or 7'6" rod. Most of my failed hooksets are in the thickest of the thick stuff. Kinda want to go out tonight and throw some spros and buzzfrogs, but I know once I go out, its gonna start to storm frown

Also, when do all of you think is the best time to throw a frog. The early morning, around noon, after noon hours, or during the evening?

I have a 7'H and 7'9" H that I use for frogs.

hidepounder, my 7' H is the Mojo slop-n-frog rod. I would recommend it if you are looking to a frog specific rod. It is a solid rod and wont break the bank. I definitely recommend H vs. MH when getting a frog rod though.

Good luck!

I've been using a Fenwick 7'MH and it seems too soft when I am hauling in 10# of weeds with the catch. Worried about breaking it.

So I hit Cabela's and found they had their Cabela XMLTi 7'6" H (telescoping) on sale for a great price. I plan to use this as my frog rod. It had pretty consistant good reviews on their site. Anyone have any feedback on these rods?

I've been using a 7'0" H, St. Croix Legend Tournament "Slop-n-Frog" rod this year and not looking back. I used to try to get by with a stiffer 6' Medium rod, but the bump up to a longer rod has been clutch for casting AND getting those fish up out of the weeds a little quicker not to mention I have no problem with the heavier cover now on the Heavy rod & 65lb PowerPro.

I see no need for anything longer than 7' honestly. I think thats the perfect length without getting a little overwhelming to use.

On a positive note, I kicked the snot out alot of big fish tonight using a Spro Bronzeye. Caught 11 fish over 17" tonight for a league outting, and missed another half a dozen hits as well. Love the Spro's for casting sake, but at times I do think that the plastic is a little too stiff for how the fish are hitting. It all depends on the situation which frog brand I prefer honestly, but it'll always be one of my fav types of fishing.

I've been using a 7'0" H, St. Croix Legend Tournament "Slop-n-Frog" rod this year and not looking back. I used to try to get by with a stiffer 6' Medium rod, but the bump up to a longer rod has been clutch for casting AND getting those fish up out of the weeds a little quicker not to mention I have no problem with the heavier cover now on the Heavy rod & 65lb PowerPro.

I see no need for anything longer than 7' honestly. I think thats the perfect length without getting a little overwhelming to use.

On a positive note, I kicked the snot out alot of big fish tonight using a Spro Bronzeye. Caught 11 fish over 17" tonight for a league outting, and missed another half a dozen hits as well. Love the Spro's for casting sake, but at times I do think that the plastic is a little too stiff for how the fish are hitting. It all depends on the situation which frog brand I prefer honestly, but it'll always be one of my fav types of fishing.

Do you use the popper style spro at all?