• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best places for BEARS

My group got drawn this year(we've never bear hunted before). There are three of us. I have a large amount of land I am able to hunt, and am wondering where to set bait sites? What kinds of growth do bears like to live in? The land I am hunting has quite a variety. What areas should I be focusing on? Swamps, mossy pine groves, regrown clear cut, popple stands, maple stands,oak stands, or off of old logging roads? I have no idea where to start looking for sign, or even what a good place to set up for this fall would be? Can anyone help me out with this?

we have always had the best luck of baits being hit in the thickest swampy areas. bears like water. we set up around swamps streams and ponds. but it never hurts to try different areas out. doing bacon and honey burns in more open areas so you can see when the bear comes in. on a bait site you get a pretty good idea where they are coming in and leaving with burns they will come in down wind and they will also circle so they could come in from behind you and could be caught of gaurd.

iceman

What zone are you hunting? Either way, what has worked for me in the past is going into the thickest nastiest spot possible and setting up shop. I hunt public land, so I need to get as deep into the woods as possible. Start looking for food. Berries and acorns seem to do well. If a bear is already there feeding and you add your baits to the mix, chances are the bear is not going far. If you and three other guys are hunting, I would try to spread out as much as possible. My group of three usually don't hunt within 2 miles of each other. All of you don't want to be hunting the same bear. Once you find your spot, bait with something that is going to bring them in. The smellier, the better. Keep the bait fresh and always bait at the same time every day and you should have some luck. Good luck and be prepared for bugs!

Next to swamps is an excellent place to start. Most all the bait sites we use are next to swamps or a series of beaver ponds. The thicker and nastier cover is what they prefer, especially the big mature bears.