Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
picksbigwagon

got my new prop

16 posts in this topic

finally pulled the trigger for a new prop, the old dinged up prop was a 13x11 (1989 evinrude 40 HP tiller on a 1989 crestliner fishhawk) and after finally talking with a tech at CP in shakopee, I went with a Hustler 12.5x13 prop. I have never been happy with the speed I have gotten with my boat. It has never really bogged down on take off so he suggested I went up 2 degrees in pitch to start with. I have never gotten more than 23 mph (gps speed) with my boat. I will get 21 MPH with 3 adults in the boat so he said I was getting enough power, not enough speed.

So if I can get on Prior this weekend, we'll see what happens.

One of the "pro's" at GM had told me to go with a smaller pitch.....

I do have a trim and tilt foot switch for my tiller so I am not that worried about getting up on plane, but I seriously want to get more speed.....

If I can get an extra 5 mph I will be happy............

either way, the snaggly prop that is on there right now will be history in a day or two....until I get it fixed

I hope it works but I think getting 5 more mph out of a 40 is a pretty big stretch ....the only way that would happen is if you had a terrible setup to start with before you switched props. Good luck.

Ya if ya get 2 mph MAYBE 3 you will be lucky. Especially with a 40 horse.

I think he will be happy. In a perfect world with the engine turning 5800 rpm through 2:1 gears and 15% slip, an 11" prop calculates to 25.7 MPH and a 13" wheel will net 30.3 MPH.

Let's see how close it comes out!

....but you wont turn 5800 with both a 13 and 11. Engine rpms are going to drop with the 13.

That is a fairly light boat.

I think you should be seeing around 27 MPH with the right prop and good weight distribution.

Your a big guy. How many batteries and where are they? Too much weight in the stern will slow you down.

Well, that's my point about the "perfect world". I did the calculator as a reference point where only one variable (pitch) is changed. Let's see what he gets!

I say he will only gain a few so my guess is 25-27 mph. Especially with 3 guys in that boat.

We'll find out this weekend.........anything more than 23.1 (gps speed) will be fantastic.........I have 2 31 series batteries in the front of my boat, but even before I got the trolling motor, I never went faster than 23.1

With three guys in the boat, I still get 22 mph.....the power is there, but the speed isn't, we'll see.................either way, I needed a new prop after bouncing the old one off rocks in WI

Just got back with my Kindergarten Graduate (today!!!) He sat in the front, on top of two series 31 batteries and a 74# trolling motor on the front and we were going 28.3 mph. So, with that weight up front, me and a kicker motor to boot sitting the back of the boat, I would say the move from a 13x11 getting 23.1 mph with me solo to 28.3 mph is a great result. I am extatic to say the least........hole shot was better than the old prop too...........I am staying with this prop although i did notice a little porpoising

we caught 4 blue gills too, okay my future 2nd grader caught 4 fish last night, I was having a blast watching him