• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

got my new prop

finally pulled the trigger for a new prop, the old dinged up prop was a 13x11 (1989 evinrude 40 HP tiller on a 1989 crestliner fishhawk) and after finally talking with a tech at CP in shakopee, I went with a Hustler 12.5x13 prop. I have never been happy with the speed I have gotten with my boat. It has never really bogged down on take off so he suggested I went up 2 degrees in pitch to start with. I have never gotten more than 23 mph (gps speed) with my boat. I will get 21 MPH with 3 adults in the boat so he said I was getting enough power, not enough speed.

So if I can get on Prior this weekend, we'll see what happens.

One of the "pro's" at GM had told me to go with a smaller pitch.....

I do have a trim and tilt foot switch for my tiller so I am not that worried about getting up on plane, but I seriously want to get more speed.....

I hope it works but I think getting 5 more mph out of a 40 is a pretty big stretch ....the only way that would happen is if you had a terrible setup to start with before you switched props. Good luck.

I think he will be happy. In a perfect world with the engine turning 5800 rpm through 2:1 gears and 15% slip, an 11" prop calculates to 25.7 MPH and a 13" wheel will net 30.3 MPH.

Let's see how close it comes out!

We'll find out this weekend.........anything more than 23.1 (gps speed) will be fantastic.........I have 2 31 series batteries in the front of my boat, but even before I got the trolling motor, I never went faster than 23.1

With three guys in the boat, I still get 22 mph.....the power is there, but the speed isn't, we'll see.................either way, I needed a new prop after bouncing the old one off rocks in WI

Just got back with my Kindergarten Graduate (today!!!) He sat in the front, on top of two series 31 batteries and a 74# trolling motor on the front and we were going 28.3 mph. So, with that weight up front, me and a kicker motor to boot sitting the back of the boat, I would say the move from a 13x11 getting 23.1 mph with me solo to 28.3 mph is a great result. I am extatic to say the least........hole shot was better than the old prop too...........I am staying with this prop although i did notice a little porpoising