• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pepper plants?

croixflats

Planted a 18 pepper plants a month a go plants and they dont seem to be growing much just like last year. Been watering about every third day. I even added 6 inches of good compost tilled and 10-10-10 fertilizer. Has it been to cool out or no good rain keeping them from growing. My raddishes are ready for harvest and lettuce wont be long and the Tomatoes are doing well along with the onions

Those darn peppers just dont want to grow any ideas to give them a boost.

Last year was my first year gardening and I wondered the same thing. Once the heat kicked in, It seemed that they really grew. I also noticed that when I didn't water them as much, they thrived. They usually don't need as much water as tomato plants.

I've always noticed peppers like it warm and sunny and we've been a little short on the warm so far.

I have several types of peppers planted and they are all healthy just not growing much yet. But that will change.

Right now the things that are growing real well for me are the brocolli, lettuce, carrots, potatos, swiss chard and kale.

The onions (several types), shallots and leeks are all doing ok but haven't added any noticable size since planting.

Tomatos look fine but nothing amazing just yet.

I've only fertilized once with an organic sea weed and fish mixture, actually I should probably do it again pretty soon. The stuff is amazing and a little goes a long ways. Also the back yard smells like a bait shop for a few hours afterward. Its a great smell to a fisherman.

I also water every other day or so depending on conditions. Sometimes I'll hit certain plants everyday and some only get water every third day.

mine are great. 3 inch banana peppers and dime size bell peppers. they've almost doubled in plant size the last week and a half

rain + warm weather does wonders!

miracle grow potting soil did the trick for me this year, last 2 years just planting in the ground with compost didn't yield much. i guess they like more nitrogen? thats what my dad says, and he's a horticulturalist so i belive him!

Mine are being making me shake my head. Some are getting a few peppers started but the plants are small 2 1/2 feet tall while others have a bit bigger than when I planted them, 10 inches tall. I have read peppers like sulfer, any ideas how to introduce sulfer to them?

Mine are still a little on the small side as well. They are starting to flower and produce fruit but the plants are a little undersized compared to what I'd expect.

Although I'm not too worried about them catching up. Everything else in the garden is growing like mad right now.

My Green Peppers are a little smaller than tennis balls. Some will be ready for pickin here in a few days. My sweet peppers and tomatoes are just blooming but my tomato plants are growing very well.

How are everyone's pumpkins doing? Mine have not bloomed yet. I've never gorwn pumpkins before. They are starting to vine out now and are about a foot long. Is that slow? Should they be bigger?

A couple things to remember. Don't fertilize untill the fruit starts to show, if done before then you get great plants but not much for fruit. Second, it is to late to do this but peppers need sulfer. When planting put about 1/3 of a book of matches and cover with an inch of dirt and then put your pepper plants in. Hope this will help a little for next year.